Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Answers Part II
Information 
Here are some answers to some more of our questions.
J. Kroll's answers are in burgundy text and quotations.

TESTING AND REAL WORLD RESULTS...
Can you tell us what testing has been done on the full-bodied Solo? - "Lots of testing, but tons more to come."
Can you share any details on that testing? - "Big testing announcement before the end of the year. Early December."
A member asked if the 1000 Alphas are 'full production models'... - "Production cars of course."
Or if the owner's should consider themselves also part of long-term testing?

Braking? 30-0 & 60-0?
Slalom & Skid Pad?
Acceleration 0-30?
Acceleration 0-60?
Confirmation of (governed) production Solo Top Speed of 85mph? - "That's coming."

City Range?
Ranges @ varous steady speeds above 88kmh/55mph? - "Data for this is coming."
Any specs about the A/C system and it's affect on range? -  "About ten percent, and we'll confirm in tests."

Is the A/C fully tested and/or is it under development? - "Tested, reliable system. Nothing weird."
Does the Solo have an OBDII compliant interface? - "Details on interfaces coming."  
Does the Solo have Android Auto Compatibility? - "Details coming on this too."

Is Electra Meccanica planning to charge equalized delivery charges or case-by-case delivery charges? - "Nothing confirmed here."
What, if any, fees and or taxes are included in the projected msrp and what are not?
How's are the North American compliance certification processes going for us?  "Details coming."

Any confirmations or updates on certification completion estimates and/or the start of Alpha production? - "Later this year for US Compliance.
Other countries and areas too.  I'm hoping to make a few local customer deliveries before the end of this year, and ten or so per month starting in January.
100+ per month starting in April when our big lines ramp up.  Orders placed today should ship around June next year."  

"The easy stuff is fun to share, but I can't distribute the technical testing data until its completed.
Thats the most important, definitive testing next to driver experience and enjoyment.
Its all underway and will be announced online as soon as its completed.
I can't wait, as the unique platform of Solo is bound to provide some new benchmarks in performance and safety."

Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(10-10-2016, 04:36 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Another Installment.
Jerry's answers are in quotations.
<SNIP>

Good job, Dale.  While not extremely informative, these answers came across much more professionally.

Reading between the lines, testing is still in the fairly early stages, and we probably won't get much information before the end of the year.  I guess that's not too bad, as it only represents a 2-month delay from the last info we had.  I haven't been following the Solo closely for much time at all, so I only recall the delay from June to October, and now January.

Three months for final pre-production prototype testing is a bit on the short side but perhaps not unreasonable considering the basic simplicity of the vehicle.  It may be hard for them to do much hot-weather testing, but they should have plenty of cold to test in.  We've had a couple of days close to 100F, so if they need a tester, they should call me soon.  Smile

Again reading between the lines, it looks like Jan-Mar will be hand-builts, with a local (Canadian) production line set up in April.  My guess is that the foreign (Asian) manufacturing would be dependent upon the response to these units.

I wouldn't be too shocked to see up to a 3-month delay from those dates, but if it goes beyond that, or without solid evidence of real progress towards production, they will start to look like another Elio.  If they can hit this new round of targets, (testing, 10/month, 100/month), that would be terrific.
I'm done.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post
hi all

Thanks dale and flying solo for all the effort to get answers to some questions

do i hear a DELAY in deliveries instead of october to january
certification? whats the normal process, what is needed and how long would it take
looks like these guys over promise and deliver short IMHO

what do you guys think
Flying, I agree. ram, one of his statements was just the opposite of that.
"Orders placed today should ship around June next year." actually moves my delivery up by a two whole months.
According to that, instead of the 3Q of '17 as I was told, mine would come around May of '17. How rare is a start up who actually delivers ahead of schedule?
Now he said that he'd like to deliver to a few local customers before the end of the year. We're talking starting production at 10 to 20 units per month.
So it's all speculation unless it's specific and from the source, but it sounds to me that Canadian certification is anticipated before December.
The Canadian certification people may not even know how soon before December. It's tough to give absolutes when it's up to others.
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
(10-10-2016, 05:37 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Flying, I agree. ram, one of his statements was just the opposite of that.
"Orders placed today should ship around June next year." actually moves my delivery up by a two whole months.
According to that, instead of the 3Q of '17 as I was told, mine would come around May of '17. How rare is a start up who actually delivers ahead of schedule?
Now he said that he'd like to deliver to a few local customers before the end of the year. We're talking starting production at 10 to 20 units per month.
So it's all speculation unless it's specific and from the source, but it sounds to me that Canadian certification is anticipated before December.
The Canadian certification people may not even know how soon before December. It's tough to have absolutes when it's up to others.

You're starting to sound like an Elio-believer. Big Grin   Projections have changed, both up and down.  Actual performance/production has been moved out.  October deliveries aren't happening.

I wasn't expecting an October delivery, so it's fine with me.   If you can get your 3Q delivery in 2Q, that would be great, and quite impressive.

From what I read in your post, both U.S. and local (Canada) certifications are being expected this year.

There are several big milestones ahead.  Testing, first units delivered, ramp-ed up production & delivery.  There is still a lot to be done both before and after that happens, but those are the things to keep an eye on.

This EM doesn't need the other EM's reputation for "FREE BEER TOMORROW!".

I'm still impressed that this EM seems to be doing real R&D and working towards production.
I'm done.
what is needed for certification

testing data or do they actually test the vehicle

is the certification process different for electric vehicles
(10-10-2016, 06:01 PM)ram Wrote: what is needed for certification

testing data or do they actually test the vehicle

Tanom said brakes were their biggest challenge.  Lighting will need certification.  Tires, definitely.  Width / Length / Weight within limits. Probably a few other things as well.  Glass?  Seat belts?  Battery retention and connectors?  Battery safety? Ground clearance?  Other?
I'm done.
Yeah, sometimes I get confused about which site I'm on.
Quite right flying. We have to keep in mind that we're testing for, and waiting on, MC certifications.
If it were automobile certification, I'm afraid we'd be seeing a delay of epic proportions.
The Solo uses the same brand of brakes that the Tanom Invader does. BTW.

I've always had the feeling that the Solo people were confident enough in their "before the fact" engineering to bring the Solo final stage prototypes into being first...
And then commence with everything else that lagged behind. They did seek investors and evidently found and snagged some...
But a couple of hundred refundable reservations @ $250 a pop really weren't going to make much of a difference.
They didn't waste more time on promoting those reservations than they should have.
I agree, they did it in almost exactly the reverse order of how the other EM did.
Now ElecM is running behind the Solo, trying to catch everything else up.
I like what they're prioritizing right now and I have a positive attitude.
so em needs to submit testing data from independent firm or the gov agency will test it
(10-10-2016, 07:00 PM)ram Wrote: so em needs to submit testing data from independent firm or the gov agency will test it
Good one ram.
I'll add that to my last batch to go out tomorrow.
Jerry should be able to at least give us that insight.
In the meantime, chat's open! Everybody in the pool!