Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Q and A
Question package #2 has been sent.

I usually get a quick reply so I may be posting answers today.
Our upcoming member chat will be today @ 7pm EDT also.
If you're not a registered member yet, join and chat with us.

Edit... Our live member chats are now on Mondays and Wednesdays @ 9:00pm EST.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
More questions:

Status of U.S. certification?
Status of #3-9 builds?
Status & plans for "race" Solo?
When will real test information be published? Acceleration, top speed, cornering, slalom, range at various speeds & temps?
Status and specs on the a/c unit?
Specs on on-board charger?
I'm done.
Recently published in the local (German) press: EU legislation is being introduced to provide electric vehicles with acoustic aids to make them audible.

(I was stopped by traffic police recently because one of my bikes was too audible)

BTW

In which international category will the Solo (and the Arcimoto) be registered? (7e?)
(11-30-2016, 12:34 AM)flying _solo Wrote: More questions:

I edited in a few of my own questions, sent them all  and got the reply this afternoon.

There's seems to be a lot of positive projects and progress.
Unfortunately, but understandably, some of it is still confidential.
Jerry's responses to the questions are in burgundy print.

Status of U.S. and Canadian certifications?
US is underway, Canada, Europe, etc. will follow.

Status of #3-9 builds?
Edit: All I can say is that we should watch for news coming soon.
And that customer deliveries will begin in 2017. - Dale

When will real test information be published?
Define “real test”. The Compliance information will be public once it is done.
Winter testing will be done in February. “Real Testing” will be ongoing and published as it is completed.

Acceleration, top speed, cornering, slalom, skid pad, range at various speeds & temps?
Acceleration is 8 seconds 0-100 kmh. Top speed is 130 kmh.

AC is not yet confirmed or specified.

3 hours to charge from zero.

Edit: And this one's under some tight wraps. As far as I'm concerned, that's completely understandable.
Suffice it to say these guys are deadly serious about the Solo racing program. They're in it to win.
And I've been told that it's a whole different world. The competition in this sport is brutal.

I'll let just part of Jerry's response answer this in a nutshell...
Seriously! You want me to let everyone know what our competition is going to be before we launch??
And: Come bring your Porsche to a racetrack next year, and be surprised when you get served by a Solo!

On the same subject, I also asked: Is there anything you can tell us about the makeup of the race Solo at this time?
Again, that’s not how racing works! You wait and see if we are able to surprise anyone.
Or go ask Mercedes or Ferrari what their 2017 Formula 1 car is going to have in it.

I suspect that  the production Solo for the general public is likely not the only project in the works.
But concerning the production project that affects most of us personally, I'll let Jerry sum it up...

Like Christmas, part of the fun is unveiling things when it is time.

I’m 100% happy with our September Solo unveil, the marketing we’ve done to date,...
the media and social media work delivered to date, and the overall corporate progress.
When the general public starts to receive Solo cars next year,...
you and me are going to have a lot of fun!
2017 is an exciting year already!

I'm good with that. If he's happy with the way things are going... So am I.
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
(11-30-2016, 11:20 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:
(11-30-2016, 12:34 AM)flying_solo Wrote: More questions:

I edited in a few of my own questions, sent them all  and got the reply this afternoon.

There's seems to be a lot of positive projects and progress.
Unfortunately, but understandably, some of it is confidential.
Jerry's responses to the questions are in burgundy print.

Status of U.S. and Canadian certifications?
US is underway, Canada, Europe, etc. will follow.

Status of #3-9 builds?
Edit: All I can say is that we should watch for news coming soon.
And that customer deliveries will begin in 2017. - Dale

When will real test information be published?
Define “real test”. The Compliance information will be public once it is done.
Winter testing will be done in February. “Real Testing” will be ongoing and published as it is completed.

Acceleration, top speed, cornering, slalom, skid pad, range at various speeds & temps?
Acceleration is 8 seconds 0-100 kmh. Top speed is 130 kmh.

AC is not yet confirmed or specified.

3 hours to charge from zero.

Edit: And this one's under some tight wraps. As far as I'm concerned, that's completely understandable.
Suffice it to say these guys are deadly serious about the Solo racing program. They're in it to win.
And I've been told that it's a whole different world. The competition in this sport is brutal.

I'll let just part of Jerry's response answer this in a nutshell...
Seriously! You want me to let everyone know what our competition is going to be before we launch??
And: Come bring your Porsche to a racetrack next year, and be surprised when you get served by a Solo!

On the same subject, I also asked: Is there anything you can tell us about the makeup of the race Solo at this time?
Again, that’s not how racing works! You wait and see if we are able to surprise anyone.
Or go ask Mercedes or Ferrari what their 2017 Formula 1 car is going to have in it.

All I can say is that the production Solo for the general public is likely not the only project in the works.
But concerning the production project that affects most of us personally, I'll let Jerry sum it up...

Like Christmas, part of the fun is unveiling things when it is time.

I’m 100% happy with our September Solo unveil, the marketing we’ve done to date,...
the media and social media work delivered to date, and the overall corporate progress.
When the general public starts to receive Solo cars next year,...
you and me are going to have a lot of fun!
2017 is an exciting year already!

I'm good with that. If he's happy with the way things are going... So am I.

EDIT (my rude comment deleted)

Either Jerry or I do not understand the meaning of "status".  It's like talking to a teenager when you have to pin them down.  ie, We are aware that you have started the U.S. certification process.  Have you received any feedback yet?  What is the feedback?  Do you have an expected response date?  What is it?  What is your expected approval date?  In a conversation, "What is the status?" would imply all of that.  When the other party to the conversation acts as though it is an interrogation, rational people start wondering what is really going on.

Not knowing what a "real test" is indicates that JK is being deliberately obtuse.  It means instrumented testing, and reporting of results.  Ideally with independent confirmation.

The crap goes on and on.  There was some real info.  They will not meet their January production target.  "Winter testing" is only a small part of the testing required.  They haven't even started development on the air conditioning.  The official start date has now been moved from January 2017 to 2017.  Pretty much everybody understands that 2017 means December 2017, or perhaps 4th Quarter 2017.  I had expected delays because there simply wasn't time to complete serious testing.  With the smaller production volumes anticipated, I had figured the delays would be smaller as well.  We should have known.  Jerry did say that he wasn't interested in manufacturing vehicles.

I don't mind them not sharing their racing plans.  I don't really mind them not sharing production plans and status.  It just tells me that I am wasting my time being interested.  No idea whether this will turn out to be another Elio Motors, another Lit Motors, or another Erik Buell story.  Erik was more interested in racing than in producing motorcycles.  Interesting product, but failed twice.  At least some did get built.  Quirky, and over-priced, but they did have a devoted following.

As for me, my interest is now officially just about gone.  I'll probably drop in from time to time, as I enjoy the repartee, but I don't expect to see product on the market for a long time.
I'm done.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post
Flying S., I think that this goes for me too! A touch of realism would go a long way, but would seem to be somewhat lacking. There are just too may problematric aspects that look very much like the elephant in the room. Like the Lit C-1 chassis (made by a Hollywood props manufacturer, and still used on their web site, even though Kim knows that it will never be functional), the Solo is, for all intents and purposes, a rolling chassis that still needs a great deal of proof of concept. And this cannot be hidden behind all the hype.
I thought the answers to the questions were adequate. We have to let them proceed with their design and production schedule. I think it will be a fun journey. It has not cost us any nonrefundable amounts....
I'm happy things are going.  Particularly the fact that a REAL Solo is in the process of USA compliance testing.  That is a touch of realism that goes a long way.  

Over a short year and a half,  I've watched the Solo go from a concept sketch to racing around the test track.  I don't expect any real updates until after compliance testing is complete.  Hell Jerry doesn't no how that's progressing until he recieives the test results he intends to share with us.

This is beginning to sound like the ElioOwners Forum, although some EOF members have a reason to bitch about the lack of details after 9 years and no track tested prototype.  I was critical enough of Jerry's concept early on to be banned from his facebook Page.  Electra Meccanica has made some amazing progress in a relatively short time compared to the other startups.  If there is a MAJOR delay announcement and or issues with USA compliance I will be disappointed and move on.  Progress details have been adequate for me validated by vehicles that are being tested, improved and getting very close to production and nothing to lose with simple refundable reservations.  They are moving forward at a respectable level and not asking fans to throw money at them while whining about not having enough funding to manufacture a vehicle, unlike EM.  

The same goes for Arcimoto and the SRK.  If I don't have the opportunity to take delivery on one or both anytime in 2017, both startups are dead to me.
White Hot Solo #166
(12-01-2016, 04:39 AM)flying_solo Wrote: lying_solo?  Either there is an editing problem, or that was really uncalled for.
flying, I hope you know in your heart that spelling like that could only ever be due to a typo or program glitch.
You have my most sincere apology. I respect and value your contributions, opinion and character here.
(12-01-2016, 12:47 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 04:39 AM)flying_solo Wrote: lying_solo?  Either there is an editing problem, or that was really uncalled for.
flying, I hope you know in your heart that spelling like that could only ever be due to a typo or program glitch.
You have my most sincere apology. I respect and value your contributions, opinion and character here.

Dale, the apology should be mine.  I was annoyed at the "teenager" responses, and took an unwarranted swipe at you.  We've all been inadvertent victims of auto-correct, typos and other computer wonders, and I knew that is what happened.  I was in a bad mood, and have no excuse.  I am sorry.

I still don't like the non-answers.  I'm editing out my signature line, but feel that most of the responses that JK gave fall in the same category.  For now, I'll be a Missourian as far as the Solo is concerned.  Show me a product being driven by retail customers, and I'll take another look.

Thanks again for the forum.  I've enjoyed the comments and the chats.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post