Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Q and A
At present, my enduro bike (with a high seat) permits a good overview of the traffic ahead. I frequently get stuck in otherwise manageable situations in my granddaughter´s Smart as I just can´t see ahead. And the (earbleedingly) loud exhaust warns other motorists and pedestrians. I wonder how they react to silent vehicles, especially to those drivers who open their car doors without looking and who suddenly flick on their indicator and pull out of parkng spaces without regard to other traffic.
I've added the link to the Electra Meccanica press release to our resource library. It has several more Solo specifications.
It's listed as "More Specs - Press Release - page". I'm also posting the link HERE. I've also added a link to Jerry Kroll's Twitter page.
You can follow that page for occasional information and pictures often exclusive to that page only. I'm posting that link HERE as well.

BTW, the Solo is slightly over 4" shorter than the Geo Metro.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(10-06-2016, 06:33 AM)paravil Wrote: At present, my enduro bike (with a high seat) permits a good overview of the traffic ahead. I frequently get stuck in otherwise manageable situations in my granddaughter´s Smart as I just can´t see ahead. And the (earbleedingly) loud exhaust warns other motorists and pedestrians. I wonder how they react to silent vehicles, especially to those drivers who open their car doors without looking and who suddenly flick on their indicator and pull out of parkng spaces without regard to other traffic.

Soundracer's V10 Lamborghini sound effect played through a Solo external speaker is the solution to your quiet/silent ev issue. Other motorists will hear you coming from down the block.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z2LqoQmnT_k
White Hot Solo #166
I'm compiling some of your questions now and will be submitting some of them tomorrow.

There is both a "Regular Charger" and a "Turbo Chord Charger" $500 option listed in the charger drop down list.
I'd have to say that the "regular charger" looks like it comes standard with the Solo and that the "Turbo Chord Charger" is the $500 upgrade.

From the Electra Meccanica press release: "The SOLO also comes with a universal power connector which enables connection at both quick charge and standard stations."

They have recently confirmed that the battery is rated @ 16.1kWh.
I am asking what the actual tested battery capacity is and what standard it was tested with/by.

I asked about shipping about three weeks ago or less and was told that ElecM is in conversation with dealers worldwide about dealerships.
I was also told that if there are no dealers within a reasonable distance from me that ElecM will make other arrangements for delivery.
In the US, it is federally mandated that each and every purchaser pay the same exact delivery charge.
That's whether they pick the vehicle up at the factory or it's shipped 3500 miles to the dealer.

Part of that federal mandate is that the mfg is to come up with a standard delivery charge by...
Dividing the total estimated cost of delivering all of the vehicles sold by the # of the vehicles sold.

I was told by a Canadian early adopter that it's the same situation in Canada. I can only quote that as heresay because I haven't seen documentation.
I would have to say that other international delivery laws, methods and costs may vary to some degree from country to country.

As far as ElecM being in contact with each of the US states, to the best of my knowledge, there are only a couple of states that vary from the federal certification.
I believe those have to do with emissions. Since the Solo does not have emissions as an issue, IMO, it should be a very simple step to certify the Solo in those few states.

I was basically told that the door configuration (the left door not opening at all) was the standing configuration for North America till further notice.
That it's necessary for getting through US and Canadian certification. If it's a standing requirement for certification, the mfg. cannot circumvent it unless the regulations change.

I'm going to break our questions down into several email packets to be sent over several days.
I just wanted to be courteous and don't want to seem like I'm overwhelming ElecM.
I also waited to send anything in order to give our members time to come here and post their questions.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
Thanks, Dale.  The fixed shipping is true for automobiles, but I'm not certain as to whether it is true for motorcycles.  I'm also not certain that it would apply to low-volume manufacturers.  Not saying that it doesn't, just that I'm not sure.

Jeff Holland has not logged back in to the forum since announcing the unveiling, but that doesn't prove whether or not he or any other of EM's people have dropping in as guests.

If production (either retail or final prototypes) actually happens this month, we should start getting solid information fairly quickly.  I'm sort of to the point where I am still curious, but it doesn't really matter until the product is actually available for purchase.
I'm done.
(10-07-2016, 01:29 AM)flying_solo Wrote: Thanks, Dale.  The fixed shipping is true for automobiles, but I'm not certain as to whether it is true for motorcycles.  I'm also not certain that it would apply to low-volume manufacturers.  Not saying that it doesn't, just that I'm not sure.

Jeff Holland has not logged back in to the forum since announcing the unveiling, but that doesn't prove whether or not he or any other of EM's people have dropping in as guests.

If production (either retail or final prototypes) actually happens this month, we should start getting solid information fairly quickly.  I'm sort of to the point where I am still curious, but it doesn't really matter until the product is actually available for purchase.
I hear ya. Good point on the shipping. I'll look into what the deal is on motorcycles.
I sent the first bunch of questions tonight so we'll see what we get tomorrow.

I also gave Jerry a bit of a friendly ribbing about him being the only person to have the opportunity to drive a new Solo around.
(10-06-2016, 11:58 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: I'm compiling some of your questions now and will be submitting some of them tomorrow.

There is both a "Regular Charger" and a "Turbo Chord Charger" $500 option listed in the charger drop down list.
I'd have to say that the "regular charger" looks like it comes standard with the Solo and that the "Turbo Chord Charger" is the $500 upgrade.

They have recently confirmed that the battery is rated @ 16.1kWh.
I am asking what the actual tested battery capacity is and what standard it was tested with/by.

I asked about shipping about three weeks ago or less and was told that ElecM is in conversation with dealers worldwide about dealerships.
I was also told that if there are no dealers within a reasonable distance from me that ElecM will make other arrangements for delivery.
In the US, it is federally mandated that each and every purchaser pay the same exact delivery charge.
That's whether they pick the vehicle up at the factory or it's shipped 3500 miles to the dealer.

Part of that federal mandate is that the mfg is to come up with a standard delivery charge by...
Dividing the total estimated cost of delivering all of the vehicles sold by the # of the vehicles sold.

I was told by a Canadian early adopter that it's the same situation in Canada. I can only quote that as heresay because I haven't seen documentation.
I would have to say that other international delivery laws, methods and costs may vary to some degree from country to country.

As far as ElecM being in contact with each of the US states, to the best of my knowledge, there are only a couple of states that vary from the federal certification.
I believe those have to do with emissions. Since the Solo does not have emissions as an issue, IMO, it should be a very simple step to certify the Solo in those few states.

I was basically told that the door configuration (the left door not opening at all) was the standing configuration for North America till further notice.
That it's necessary for getting through US and Canadian certification. If it's a standing requirement for certification, the mfg. cannot circumvent it unless the regulations change.

I'm going to break our questions down into several email packets to be sent over several days.
I just wanted to be courteous and don't want to seem like I'm overwhelming ElecM.
I also waited to send anything in order to give our members time to come here and post their questions.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

The federal mandate doesn't fix shipping costs and has nothing to do with how manufacturers determine shipping charges, but only that the shipping charge is required as a separate line item on the window sticker so buyers know what they are paying for.
White Hot Solo #166
Thanks Rick. Doing some more research on it, I found out that technically you're right. It's not "mandated" except that it is required to be on the sticker.
However, because the automotive industry adopted equalized freight charges 30 years ago, that's almost always the way that it's done with extremely few exceptions. And most importantly, because it's designated as a direct cost to be passed on to the consumer, other law precedents dictate that exactly what it cost the mfg to ship (in this case the average) has to be passed on to the consumer intact. No more, no less. The mfg and/or the dealers are not permitted to make a profit (or loss) on it and still call it a direct cost that they pass on to the purchaser. I can imagine that determining and keeping track of individual destination charges and their effect on profit/loss must have been a nightmare for the consumers, manufacturers and the dealers alike prior to equalized charges.

"It's Government Mandated
The destination fee should be regarded as yet another cost of doing new car business. There are several other fees that manufacturers must bake into the price of their new cars and trucks, but the U.S. government has required this fee be itemized on the sticker based on the fact that it is a direct cost, above and beyond the "overhead" companies must incur in bringing a product to market."

"From an historical perspective, there was a time when you could travel to Detroit and pick up your vehicle direct from the manufacturer, thereby eliminating the destination charge. This ended over 30 years ago, when the automotive industry adopted equalized freight charges."

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articles/d...n-charges/

That being said, I've been to several forums, and it appears that MC mfgs and/or dealers do not seem to follow these standards.
Many of these sites' posters say that the MC dealers do not use the exact terminology "destination fee" for any charge related to shipping the MC to the dealer location.
They also say that you can haggle with some dealers about any "destination" or shipping charge and that some dealers don't charge them at all.

Just as a side note, I believe that Elio Motors has stated that they will be using the equalized freight charge system.
But they're also planning on transporting large numbers of units from the very start of their production.

So... I'll ask if ElecM is planning on using equalized freight charges or case-by-case individual freight charges.
Is Canadian VAT included in the Solo price?
(10-07-2016, 02:48 PM)Lotus Wrote: Is Canadian VAT included in the Solo price?
I found this on Wikipedia:

Canada
Main articles: Goods and Services Tax (Canada) and Harmonized Sales Tax
Goods and Services Tax (GST) is a value-added tax introduced by the Federal Government in 1991 at a rate of 7%, later reduced to the current rate of 5%. A Harmonized Sales Tax (HST; combined GST and provincial sales tax) is collected in New Brunswick (15%), Newfoundland (13%), Nova Scotia (15%), Ontario (13%), Prince Edward Island (14%), and, for a short time until 2013, British Columbia (12%). (Quebec has a de facto 14.975% HST: its provincial sales tax follows the same rules as the GST, and both are collected together by Revenu Québec.) Advertised and posted prices generally exclude taxes, which are calculated at time of payment; exceptions are motor fuels, the posted prices for which include sales and excise taxes, and items in vending machines as well as alcohol in monopoly stores. Basic groceries, prescription drugs, inward/outbound transportation and medical devices are exempt.

Of course Wikipedia is user driven, so it should never be taken as a 100% reliable authoritative source.
I'll ask what, if any taxes and/or fees the msrp includes and what it doesn't.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post