Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Q and A
By compiling info from the Electra Meccanica website, recent news blogs and responses to member inquiries, this is some of what we know so far...

It's been confirmed that the battery in the Solo is 16.1kWh.

The Solo will have a Sirius XM ready AM/FM radio head unit with CD, Bluetooth and USB, and the Solo will have regenerative braking.
The Solo will have heated external mirrors, an electric parking brake, daytime running lights and an adjustable cloth covered seat.

It also has heating, window defogging and ventilation, and 285 liters (10cf) of cargo space.
And it also has power windows, remote keyless entry and a rear view back up camera.

The current configuration of the Solo is needed to get through US and Canadian certification.
With that current configuration the left door does not open from the outside nor from the inside.
The current door configuration can easily be reversed for countries where the left side is the curb side.

A heated seat is available as a $400 option
A/C is available as a $1000 option
A lturbo chord level 2 charger is available as a $500 option.
The website offers a choice between that charger option and a regular charger.

There are currently four colors available for the Alpha Series.
They are: Arctic White, Raven Black, Electric Red and Titanium Silver.

Ground clearance of the Solo has been quoted as being 7".
Electra Meccanica has stated that ""Variances in photos are due to pre-production sampling."

There are a list of many other impressive specifications and features on the Electra Meccanica website.
There are links to that website, their facebook page and their twitter page in our resource library located HERE.

The last thing I've heard about costs, shipping, delivery and dealerships is that EM is in conversation with potential dealers worldwide.
They have also assured me that they will make arrangements to have my Solo delivered if no dealer is within a reasonable distance.
To my knowledge, they have been shipping and delivering their custom coaches for decades. I personally trust their experience.

The last that I've heard on the progress toward production is that the Solo is still in the process of Canadian and US compliance certification.
My own personal opinion is that Electra Meccanica is as anxious to break any new news  on their progress to us as we are to hear about it.

There are a number of members that have expressed quite a few questions about the Solo.
Again, I want to make it clear that this site is not a part of, nor is it affiliated with, Electra Meccanica in any manner.
I also want to make it clear that by using this site you agree that you will use any information on this site only at your own risk.

The only way to have the definitive answers to those member's questions is to go to the definitive source.

However, and this is my personal opinion and only my personal opinion...
I believe that any specifications and answers given to our questions may be subject to change at any time.
I believe that Electra Meccanica has one or more units that can be defined as final working production models.
But I also believe that adjustments may be required as they go through the compliance certification processes.

With all that being said, I'd like to dedicate this thread to those questions.
Please check the Electra Meccanica Site's Spec and Faq sections before posting your questions.
I'll try to compile a reasonable list of those questions and submit them to Electra Meccanica.

An example would be the question that was asked of, "Will the Solo have a sun visor or not."
I'll forward that visor question. Another question was about access to the rear tire valve stem.
I've looked at some of the photos of the first Solo, and I believe that the valve stem will be accessible.
It looks like we'll have to lay on the ground to access it and it does not look easy to get to or work on...
But I don't think we'll have to disassemble anything to check our air pressure or to fill the tire.

Be aware that there just may not be an answer to your specific question yet.
As EM makes more progress in certain areas more information will become available.

Hopefully this process may alleviate some strain on Electra Meccanica's inbox and personnel.
Instead of countless people asking the same question, we'll ask once and post the answer.

Thanks for being a part of our community and part of the effort to "Take back the road".
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
I'd love to know if there is active thermal management in the Solo (like on the Spark) or if it will be passive (like on the LEAF).

While not an issue for heat generated during rapid charging (since the Solo doesn't have that), it is a big deal for range in very cold weather (such as in Canada or Washington state) or for battery degradation in very hot weather (such as in Arizona or the central valley of California, where periods of close-to-or-over-100-degree temps are common during the summer months).
I spent too much time on this already, but here are a few(?!) questions for ElectraMeccanica:

SAFETY
  • Is there any plan to add ABS brakes to the options list?

BATTERIES
  • Temperature management
    • Liquid or air cooled
    • Pre-heat for colder climates
  • Verify kWh
  • How long to replace batteries?
  • Recharge rate time & miles/hour
    • 110V – how many amps
    • 220V – how many amps
    • % charge in 15, 30, 45 & 60 minutes at each voltage
  • Is there both a base and upgraded charger available?
    • What are the specs on any available chargers?
    • Is a charger included in the vehicle base price?
  • What are the details of the regen system?
    • Is it adjustable?
    • Is it in the design stage, undergoing tests, or fully tested?
  • Expected battery life
    • How was expectation tested / measured?
    • Number of full cycles w/ 90% residual capacity? # w/ 80% residual capacity?
  • Current replacement cost of battery packs.

TESTING
  • What testing has been completed on full-bodies Solo prototypes?
  • What details of the scheduled testing program can be shared?
  • Are the 1000 Alpha units full production models, or should the purchasers consider themselves to be part of the testing program?

PERFORMANCE
  • Has instrument perfomance testing taken place on full-bodied prototypes?
    • Braking – 30-0 & 60-0.
    • Slalom & skid pad
    • Acceleration 0-30 & 0-60
    • Top speed.
    • Range in city traffic.
    • Range at steady 55-, 60-, 65-, 70-, & 75-mph

PRODUCTION
  • How many pre-production prototypes have been, and are planned to be built?
  • When will is the first production unit expected to be completed?
  • At what point will a decision be made to move from hand assembly to mass production?
    • Is funding in place to make that change?
    • How long will it take from announcement to actual start of mass production?
    • Any ideas on the effect on MSRP?

SUPPLY CHAIN
  • What are the current plans for distribution, warranty, service, parts, etc?
  • Are you planning to offer referral commissions to owners or others?
  • What is the status of the dealer network in U.S.A.? Canada?
  • Will shipping be a flat fee, or individual negotiated?
    • Expected shipping costs?

EXTERIOR
  • The unveiling photographs clearly less than 7” ground clearance. What is the current ground clearance?
    • Are units currently being built with 7” gc? Are they being tested? Are pics available?
  • Please show how the rear wheel is to be accessed – for tire pressure checks and for changing the tire.
  • Is the plan to offer opening doors on both sides?
    • Will retro-fits be available?
    • Is this being held up by regulations and/or other constraints?

INTERIOR
  • What are the specs on the A/C unit?
    • Affect on range?
    • Is the a/c fully tested, or still under development?
  • Vehicle / computer interface
    • OBDII compliant?
    • Android auto compatible?

REGULATORY COMPLIANCE
  • What is the current status of certification for sale in the U.S.A? Canada?
    • Expected date for full compliance?
  • Are you in contacts with the various states to establish regulatory status in each state, or will that be up to the end purchasers?
I'm done.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post
Thank you FS for this comprehensive list. These questions need to be fully answered before even a preliminary assessment can be attempted
Too many questions for me.  I'll settle for the initial testing that Mike Corbin did on the original Sparrow concept and the followup owner miles on the 300-400 manufactured Sparrows.  I believe ElectraM has only improved on the original Sparrow platform.  If my test drive indicates the Solo's performance and handling meets my personal needs, has reasonable fit and finish from custom coach builder InterMeccanica, is comfortable for a 30-45 minute commute, I can get in and out of it with reasonable effort, and is officially validated by the USA/Canada so l can register and license it as a MC autocycle class based on recent legislation, in my home state of Idaho, I'm all in for $15k.  The Solo specs listed currently on their website work for me.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
Right Rick .... but I´d need a bit more before I make any decision
[+] 1 user Likes paravil's post
(10-05-2016, 03:31 PM)Rickb Wrote: Too many questions for me.  I'll settle for the initial testing that Mike Corbin did on the original Sparrow concept and the followup owner miles on the 300-400 manufactured Sparrows.  I believe ElectraM has only improved on the original Sparrow platform.  If my test drive indicates the Solo's performance and handling meets my personal needs, has reasonable fit a finish from custom coach builder InterMeccanica, is comfortable for a 30-45 minute commute, I can get in and out of it with reasonable effort, and it is officially validated by the USA/Canada and l can register and license it as a MC autocycle class based on recent legislation, in my home state of Idaho, I'm all in for $15k.  The Solo specs listed currently on their website work for me.

I guess I've just become overly cautious in my old age.  That, or close-fisted.  I take your attitude for $15 or $150 purchases, but for $1500 I start asking more questions.  Even more for $15000.  I don't mind being an alpha or beta tester at times, but I don't like paying that kind of money for the privilege.   Tongue

Only a few of those questions I listed are individually go/no-go questions, but the sum total of the answers or non-answers would definitely influence my purchasing decision.
I'm done.
(10-05-2016, 04:53 PM)A flying_solo Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 03:31 PM)Rickb Wrote: Too many questions for me.  I'll settle for the initial testing that Mike Corbin did on the original Sparrow concept and the followup owner miles on the 300-400 manufactured Sparrows.  I believe ElectraM has only improved on the original Sparrow platform.  If my test drive indicates the Solo's performance and handling meets my personal needs, has reasonable fit a finish from custom coach builder InterMeccanica, is comfortable for a 30-45 minute commute, I can get in and out of it with reasonable effort, and it is officially validated by the USA/Canada and l can register and license it as a MC autocycle class based on recent legislation, in my home state of Idaho, I'm all in for $15k.  The Solo specs listed currently on their website work for me.

I guess I've just become overly cautious in my old age.  That, or close-fisted.  I take your attitude for $15 or $150 purchases, but for $1500 I start asking more questions.  Even more for $15000.  I don't mind being an alpha or beta tester at times, but I don't like paying that kind of money for the privilege.   Tongue

Only a few of those questions I listed are individually go/no-go questions, but the sum total of the answers or non-answers would definitely influence my purchasing decision.
Don't misunderstand, I respect your caution and well thought out questions.  I'm old, cautious, and skeptical and have questions that will be answered if or when I get the chance to test drive the vehicle. 

My only real common sense question about a narrow three wheeler relates to safety.  When I answer that question, I shouldn't be driving this class of vehicle period, but did I mention that I'm old, am fascinated by EV's, and need something fun to drive.  The Solo EV utilizes simple engineering principles and aero design (tested and proven as the Sparrow), is affordable, low maintenance, 'should' be releatively trouble free, and one of the safest MC's on the road. It works for me and I'm not trying to influence anyone's decision to buy into the concept........and yes $15K is a chunk of money for me too and will not spend it foolishly.
White Hot Solo #166
Just one more thing .... how is visibility in congested, urban traffic? Is it too low to see other traffic ahead .... and be seen by others (SUVs)?
(10-06-2016, 03:37 AM)paravil Wrote: Just one more thing .... how is visibility in congested, urban traffic? Is it too low to see other traffic ahead .... and be seen by others (SUVs)?

Comparing it to some U.S. Fords:
It's about 
4" shorter than a Mustang
8" shorter than a Fiesta or Fusion
16" shorter than an Escape
26" shorter than an F150
27" shorter than an Expedition

and

it's about 2" taller than a Mazda Miata.

I would suspect that there would be times that visibility (both directions) would be less than ideal.  Once, I had a motorhome try to back over me in a full-sized Volvo, and it will be much easier to "not see" a Solo.  

The small size will be an advantage at times, and a disadvantage at others.
I'm done.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post