Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solopalooza 2017
I attended Solopalooza and got to take two Solo's around the "track". The last Solo I drove was the silver solo which I was told has the "new" larger battery pack.  It did seem a bit more responsive.  Actually both Solo's seemed more responsive from the test drive I took a few months back.   I also tried accelerating in the corners on the wet track to see how the back end would skid.  I was impressed on such a light car that I didn't get it to skid.  I could have been more aggressive but I was also trying to be "real world". 

I also drove the new "Tofino" modified intermeccanica roadster (sorry no video of that ride).  It was nice with an old car feel.  It had a smaller battery back but still nice to drive.  Looking forward to the "real Tofino" 

Here is the link to the two Solo drives.  https://youtu.be/PnBTseCp6zk. enjoy

[+] 4 users Like Jamaf's post
(11-30-2017, 11:42 AM)Jamaf Wrote: I attended Solopalooza and got to take two Solo's around the "track"...
Nice! Too bad the track was wet, folks were probably more careful than they would have been on a dry track. Anyway, it looks as though the car handled well. One sure does get a workout in the arms spinning that wheel. I probably need that...

What was the bright red thing at the lower left? Are the switches illuminated or something?

I assume those numbers on the speedometer were km/h. You did pretty well in a parking lot. Acceleration was great on a wet surface. I heard you count to 4 or 5.

Jamaf wrote, "I was impressed on such a light car that I didn't get it to skid." I think that's another plus for the 3-wheel geometry. The drive wheel gives no spinning torque even if it slips and having the weight on three wheels gives a bit more traction than the weight divided by four wheels. Solo is a very thoughtful design. I like that.

Any word on production rates or safety-certification? I think many are convinced Solo is very useful, but they need to get hands on one in the driveway.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
What was the bright red thing at the lower left? Are the switches illuminated or something?

Yes the switches are lit by LED. No word on production or certification. The focus at the event was taking people out in the cars. There was a decent turnout. 80 or so people.