Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lithium Mining
Interesting, if not somewhat biased, article on Lithium Mining...

I can relate. I've been to an Arizona copper mine. Was almost killed there. Story for another day.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/5/...l=facebook
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(10-22-2017, 05:45 AM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Interesting, if not somewhat biased, article on Lithium Mining...

The issue of mining lithium is there but we should also remember that lithium used in batteries for EVs will almost all be recycled so, eventually, the proportion of lithium mined versus recycled will decline in the future. That's not like petroleum where the model has perpetual growth until exhaustion with no backup plan. That's also ignoring pollution/global warming. A battery sitting in my bright RED Solo does not pollute. My gas-guzzler seems designed to pollute and waste stuff, not just in the mining but also in daily use. I'm about to replace its tires for the second time. The decline in the price of oil seems not reflected in the price of tires... Want to bet the three tires of a Solo will last much longer than the four tires on my SUV? However you account for items, Solo will cost much less to own/operate than most gas-guzzlers.

"The greater the load of the vehicle, the shorter the life of the tire, and this point is not in doubt."

See https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-factor...ffany-wong
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
(10-22-2017, 08:01 AM)pogson Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:45 AM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Interesting, if not somewhat biased, article on Lithium Mining...

The issue of mining lithium is there but we should also remember that lithium used in batteries for EVs will almost all be recycled so, eventually, the proportion of lithium mined versus recycled will decline in the future. That's not like petroleum where the model has perpetual growth until exhaustion with no backup plan. That's also ignoring pollution/global warming. A battery sitting in my bright RED Solo does not pollute. My gas-guzzler seems designed to pollute and waste stuff, not just in the mining but also in daily use. I'm about to replace its tires for the second time. The decline in the price of oil seems not reflected in the price of tires... Want to bet the three tires of a Solo will last much longer than the four tires on my SUV? However you account for items, Solo will cost much less to own/operate than most gas-guzzlers.

"The greater the load of the vehicle, the shorter the life of the tire, and this point is not in doubt."

See https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-factor...ffany-wong
Since lithium apparently isn't mined there is no mining issue.  Tires, perhaps an issue for some, but a non-issue personally because I'm old and likely only have time to wear out one more set.........of three.  My only issue is the long wait to start putting smiles on that new set of rubber.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
(10-23-2017, 02:46 AM)Rickb Wrote: Since lithium apparently isn't mined there is no mining issue.  Tires, perhaps an issue for some, but a non-issue personally because I'm old and likely only have time to wear out one more set.........of three.  My only issue is the long wait to start putting smiles on that new set of rubber.

The most commonly used method of extraction is to pump brine from underground or surface bodies of water. There is a waste-product, salty water. So, while this may not seem like mining it has some of the same properties: removing material from underground and separating the good stuff from waste.

Wikipedia defines mining: "Mining is the extraction of valuable minerals or other geological materials from the earth". So, generally speaking, pumping brine to extract lithium is mining. It's removing water containing dissolved minerals rather than rock. There can be environmental impacts.

See http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/10/the...acama.html

That operation uses large ponds for evaporating brine. They look ugly, cast a lot of shade and lithium is just a fraction of what comes out.

Lately, several mines for minerals containing lithium have been developed. Some are in Canada. They are not pumping brine but removing lithium minerals of high purity. See http://www.mining.com/canada-lithium-sha...run-24849/
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
(10-23-2017, 07:52 AM)pogson Wrote: See http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/10/the...acama.html

That operation uses large ponds for evaporating brine. They look ugly, cast a lot of shade and lithium is just a fraction of what comes out.

And it should be again pointed out that those particular operations take up just several tiny tracts in a vast area that is one of the deadest in the world.

I believe the article also said that 90% of all lithium was produced from two such areas. See the satellite graphics at the link in the original post.

And it said that the areas flood regularly, destroying  the evaporation ponds, basically returning the area to it's original condition.

The ponds must be rebuilt as an ongoing process. The point of the article was the pro-oil lies about lithium mining.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
..........and since 50% of the people don't fact check and simply believe the BS because it's in line with their personal brainwashed beliefs over the years from more BS, we may all be screwed.    With that said I hope MY fact check sources aren't BS.  I do know that my next car is a reservation EV and that's a fact.

This Canadian Lithium Mining operation is quite an eyesore. Smile

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_9173.JPG (Size: 59.97 KB / Downloads: 18)
White Hot Solo #166