Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the rise?
It's true if market acceptance or demand to be profitable is based on the production number required to be profitable. If they only have one assembly line it better be automated because limited number hand assembling will not support the $15-20K MSRP.
White Hot Solo #166
(09-27-2017, 03:31 PM)Rickb Wrote: It's true if market acceptance or demand to be profitable is based on the production number required to be profitable.  If they only have one assembly line it better be automated because limited number hand assembling will not support the $15-20K MSRP.

I don't know what EMV's costs are but here are some data:
  • My ICE service costs $65/h for one guy and a stall. If EMV puts 16 bodies on their line, that's $1040/h to run the line.
  • EMV says they should be able to make a Solo in 4h, so the cost of assembly is ~$4000.
  • 16.1 kWh batteries cost ~$300/kWH today, $4800.
  • Motor and controller are about $3000.
  • Body, $2000, just a guess...
  • Accessories, lights and wiring, $1000, probably less...
  • Suspensions, hubs and brakes, $2000
  • Tires, $600
  • Crush zones, $1000 
  • Steering, $1000
  • Total: $19400
So, that leaves ~$400 per Solo margin. If they make 6 Solos per day, 200d per annum that's $0.48million gross profit per annum, a reasonable return on a $10million investment. Some of my numbers could be high or low by the time next year happens but it's the right order of magnitude and not all the errors are in the same direction. I've used retail prices so I'm probably high on most of  them, all to EMV's good. Oops. I left off glass...
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/26/dyso...v-by-2020/

I can't wait to see what they come up with, a street sweeper? 2.6 billion wow! I guess the big boys could crush the small guys like a bug!
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
(09-29-2017, 07:33 AM)Chris Wrote: https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/26/dyso...v-by-2020/

I can't wait to see what they come up with, a street sweeper? 2.6 billion wow! I guess the big boys could crush the small guys like a bug!

Can you imagine the margin and production numbers it will take just to recoup that 2.6billion?
It better not only be autonomous, it better cook breakfast, take out the garbage and replace your vacuum cleaner.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.