Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20SEP2017 total Solo deliveries as of today
(10-14-2017, 08:34 AM)pogson Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 08:19 AM)Qubit Wrote: Actually a nice vehicle. Lots of fun, but mostly unneeded, convenience features.

I was disappointed to hear Jerry state the price of Solo would not decrease with more efficient production but that they would add more features, just like smartphones.

I think that's shortsighted. Commuters don't need a huge list of features. One of the reasons that I hate my current SUV is that half of it's features are now defective. We paid for them but don't bother to have them repaired. Our SUV has stuff like these:
  • "Memory" for two settings for drivers. She drives it 99% of the time so that's useless and no longer works anyway,
  • Heated seats. This one failed on the driver's side. She likes it in the winter, so we swapped relays so it doesn't work on the passenger side and she's happy.
  • Power lift on the rear tailgate. The motor seized and burned up. Will cost $thousands to rebuild the interior of the car so we're not fixing it. I never used the feature anyway.
  • Electric lock on the driver's side died. I just flick the manual lock anyway and my wife never locks the car...
  • Air filter on the cabin airflow. Works but mice keep getting into it and nesting. Bloody pain! We keep the hood up when the SUV is parked now so that the mice don't feel the engine compartment is such a warm place to live.
  • Every now and then the SUV just drains its battery. It's random but such a nuisance. I routinely disconnect the battery and reconnect when it's about to be used. We spent $1000 trying to get this diagnosed to no avail. Useless features can become constant aggravations.
  • The headlights are supposed to turn with steering. They don't. Quotation was $1000 to fix that. We didn't fix that even though the alignment is "off". The system keeps trying to adjust the headlights for us and often aims down or up randomly.
To me, a commuter's car needs to be efficient and utterly reliable. Adding useless features are a negative IMHO. One of the things I like about Solo is that it is very simple and reliable. I don't want that to change just to keep the price up in the face of competition. Please, let my Solo ship before Jerry perfects it...
Your commuter car needs and or definition seem to match Arcimoto's vision of offering a simple, efficient, functional, reliable fun to drive SRK everyday electric commuter.  Also, their philosophy is customers pay only for the options they want and are willing to maintain. They even offer the optional Wild Game and Surfboard Rack.
White Hot Solo #166
(10-14-2017, 08:34 AM)pogson Wrote:
  • We keep the hood up when the SUV is parked now so that the mice don't feel the engine compartment is such a warm place to live...

Pog-

I can help with that.
Over the years I've had a couple of vehicles that were used only occasionally. Bees and mice loved to take up residence under the hood. The occasional cat, too.

I stopped all of that by spraying the engine and compartment with a cheap penetrating oil (saved my good stuff for rusty parts).
Critters large and small don't like it at all.
Don't use WD-40 'cause water, even just moist air, washes it off.

Keeps everything from rusting under there and prolongs rubber/vinyl, too. BTW, cool engine.

(10-14-2017, 12:42 PM)Rickb Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 08:19 AM)Qubit Wrote: Actually a nice vehicle. Lots of fun, but mostly unneeded, convenience features.
Your commuter car needs and or definition seem to match Arcimoto's vision of offering a simple, efficient, functional, reliable fun to drive SRK everyday electric commuter.  Also, their philosophy is customers pay only for the options they want and are willing to maintain. They even offer the optional Wild Game and Surfboard Rack.

Rick,
I'm complicated, but shallow. For me, it's all about the looks. Well, and the noise, ill-handling, terrible ride, smell and power of a hot rod.
It makes you pay attention. It makes you feel alive (and like it might end at any moment). It's just plain fun.

At this stage, it takes a lot to knock my socks off. And not because I wear support hose.
So why Solo? Like I said "It's all about the looks." And the fun.

[Image: Mikebike_signature.png]