Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20SEP2017 total Solo deliveries as of today
(09-21-2017, 12:20 PM)pogson Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 11:58 AM)Rickb Wrote: I don't understand not wanting/needing to test drive any vehicle before making the purchase.  I've come across vehicles I like the looks of, but after a test drive no way I'd own one based on performance, comfort, fit, and finsish.

I just need reliable transportation from A to B. All else is secondary and uncritical. If Leona loves her Solo, that's good enough for me. For me a test-drive is just some fun while waiting for delivery and an opportunity to record some data... I've test-driven more than one ICEd vehicle that turned out to be nightmares. One ended up as scrap metal just on its own with no accident or abuse after just 4 years. That was a landmark in my journey to driving electrically. I kid you not, every piece of rubber under the hood had to be replaced, the muffler was replaced twice, the dealership went out of business and the engine was blowing blue smoke. Four years... With Solo, I know there's less to go wrong. Two doors instead of five, three wheels instead of four, no ICE at all, several times lower cost of operation and no gears to shift. Solo is made for me.
I don't speak about a test drive to determine the reliability of a new vehicle model prior the purchase.........who knows until after a couple years of daily driving.  I speak about a test drive to determine fit and comfort...............ease of getting in and out of the vehicle, comfortable ergo seat and sitting position first and foremost............followed by performance and handling.......followed by fit, finish and reliability.  Who wants to drop $15K on a vehicle only to discover it meets their daily needs, but is to uncomfortable to drive or drives/handles like a tank?   Obviously, that may be critical for an old guy like me.  Leona is younger, more vibrant, and more flexible than I am.  About all I have left is my sense of humor.  Also, Leona is still working and has more earning potential than I do.  I can't afford to waste my coin when there are other three wheeler commuter EV options to consider.
White Hot Solo #166
(09-21-2017, 11:58 AM)Rickb Wrote: Regardless, there will be a vehicle destination fee on  the window sticker, but a Winnipeg dealership would afford you a test drive opportunity to verify fit.  I don't understand not wanting/needing to test drive any vehicle before making the purchase.  I've come across vehicles I like the looks of, but after a test drive no way I'd own one based on performance, comfort, fit, and finsish.

I hear ya, Rick. A few years ago I said the same thing.

My wife has said for a couple of years she wanted to get a KIA Soul when she retired.
I've been researching them for years; I have file folders dated early 2015.

Well, the time has come and I bought one this week before it was delivered from another dealer without actually driving it or a sample. It was strange to not feel the need. Anyway, the car is exactly what I expected... maybe a bit quicker.

I think I was willing to do that because in most cases today we drive 'spec' cars. They're built to standards and only change if one manufacturer does something different. Witness all of the 'fishmouth' grilles these days.

The Solo is a different deal. So many deviations from the norm that it must be tried.

[Image: Mikebike_signature.png]

Mike,  I've always liked the fun styling of the Soul and it looks to be a FUNctional ride.  I'm betting your wife will love it.  Turbo?
White Hot Solo #166
So this doesn't look good for delivery of any Solos this year Sad
In August Jerry said that#12,13,14 and 15 were in various stages of production. So when I noticed the Red Solo in the production line of the September Open House video I asked if that was my Solo #13 . Reply from Mark was   Wink .
It sure got my expectation of finally getting my Solo.
Asking on messenger doesn't seem to work.....   no reply.
Send an email to Jerry and the standard answer "if you're not happy we'll refund your deposit " and that he'll forward my questions to Mark...
 So Mark's reply for the delivery date of my Solo  is now end of 1Q beginning of Q2  2018.
No indication as to why ... Waiting to hear back...
Not happy about it but I guess I'll wait some more. 
I wonder if I'll get it before I retire ...lol
"If your not happy we'll refund your deposit", with no explanation as to the delay.   I had an email from Jerry last year stating that delivery of my SOLO #166 is scheduled for mid to late 2017.
White Hot Solo #166
Ouch!
Sorry to hear that Manfred.
Let us know what you find out.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
(09-29-2017, 08:28 PM)Manfred Sieg Wrote: So Mark's reply for the delivery date of my Solo  is now end of 1Q beginning of Q2  2018.
No indication as to why ... Waiting to hear back...
Not happy about it but I guess I'll wait some more. 
I wonder if I'll get it before I retire ...lol

Sad.

ISTR from the map that Manfred is not in close proximity to Vancouver. EMV has given priority to folks within easy driving distance of Vancouver. That's not fair but it fits their evolving business-model of growing at a sustainable rate until certification/more funding. Good ideas can flit around the globe in microseconds but good products take a bit longer.

I've retired a few years ago. I wonder if I'll get my Solo before I die... TLW (The Little Woman) joked that my descendants may not have any use for the Solo... I believe she will like it so I'm not inclined to cash in my deposit.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
(09-28-2017, 08:47 PM)Rickb Wrote: Mike,  I've always liked the fun styling of the Soul and it looks to be a FUNctional ride.  I'm betting your wife will love it.  Turbo?

Yes, hairdryer-equipped.
Actually a nice vehicle. Lots of fun, but mostly unneeded, convenience features.
I've signed up at the community college for 'Econobox Bells & Whistles 101'.

Definitely feels like I'm rolling around in a square plastic ball.

[Image: Mikebike_signature.png]

Jerry said there will be a total of 4 Solos delivered to customers as soon as EMV delivers the EasyPark Solo sitting behind him in Thursday Oct. 12th's CEO update.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(09-30-2017, 08:19 AM)Qubit Wrote: Actually a nice vehicle. Lots of fun, but mostly unneeded, convenience features.

I was disappointed to hear Jerry state the price of Solo would not decrease with more efficient production but that they would add more features, just like smartphones.

I think that's shortsighted. Commuters don't need a huge list of features. One of the reasons that I hate my current SUV is that half of it's features are now defective. We paid for them but don't bother to have them repaired. Our SUV has stuff like these:
  • "Memory" for two settings for drivers. She drives it 99% of the time so that's useless and no longer works anyway,
  • Heated seats. This one failed on the driver's side. She likes it in the winter, so we swapped relays so it doesn't work on the passenger side and she's happy.
  • Power lift on the rear tailgate. The motor seized and burned up. Will cost $thousands to rebuild the interior of the car so we're not fixing it. I never used the feature anyway.
  • Electric lock on the driver's side died. I just flick the manual lock anyway and my wife never locks the car...
  • Air filter on the cabin airflow. Works but mice keep getting into it and nesting. Bloody pain! We keep the hood up when the SUV is parked now so that the mice don't feel the engine compartment is such a warm place to live.
  • Every now and then the SUV just drains its battery. It's random but such a nuisance. I routinely disconnect the battery and reconnect when it's about to be used. We spent $1000 trying to get this diagnosed to no avail. Useless features can become constant aggravations.
  • The headlights are supposed to turn with steering. They don't. Quotation was $1000 to fix that. We didn't fix that even though the alignment is "off". The system keeps trying to adjust the headlights for us and often aims down or up randomly.
To me, a commuter's car needs to be efficient and utterly reliable. Adding useless features are a negative IMHO. One of the things I like about Solo is that it is very simple and reliable. I don't want that to change just to keep the price up in the face of competition. Please, let my Solo ship before Jerry perfects it...
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post