Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Cabrera Videos on Solo
Here's an example:  

Some new information for me:
  • strength members in the roof and doors
  • good look at the crush zones
  • information about how the assembly is evolving; basically EMV sees hand-made Solos as a benefit to the customer and a learning experience for EMV
  • bigger stocks of parts like windshields and frames are in place
Another video shows a visit to the Elio offices which seem to be just an empty hallway whereas EMV actually has people on desks doing things like achieving global domination etc...
[+] 2 users Like pogson's post
I found Jerry's comments regarding the SOLO's safety, by comparing it's engineering and chassis materials/design to that of a Formula One Race Car very interesting.

Jerry continues to impress with his vision of the SOLO and EMV's future business model.
White Hot Solo #166
(08-27-2017, 12:36 PM)Rickb Wrote: I found Jerry's comments regarding the SOLO's safety, by comparing it's engineering and chassis materials/design to that of a Formula One Race Car very interesting.

Jerry continues to impress with his vision of the SOLO and EMV's future business model.

Yes, the design is beautiful but people will still worry about the acceleration of a driver when such a light vehicle is hit by something heavier at high speed. In a collision between a light object and a heavy object head-on, the heavy object will be slowed very slightly so the passenger of the light vehicle has to adjust to ~100km/h change in speed in a fraction of a second. That's not survivable even if the body looks good for the funeral. In an urban environment where speeds are lower it's probably fine but the worst case is much worse than driving a tank. It's a bit like seat-belts. Before seat-belts, people died in moderate collisions. Afterwards, they survived collisions at twice the speed but with grievous injuries. Then came air-bags...

OTOH, Solo has advantages of being a smaller target with greater manoeuvrability and visibility for the driver. It's far superior to the usual motorcycle. I intend to avoid heavy traffic where possible and I have an excellent driving record based on knowing my own limitations. I think Solo will be just fine for front and rear collisions. It's the ones from the side that worry me. A torso might survive but I doubt a brain could. I've seen T-collisions fatal even to passengers of full-size cars on city streets.Racing car drivers have five-point seat-belts, helmets, fire-proof suits and roll-cages. I don't expect to survive wild prangs in a Solo.