Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just reserved a solo
Hi all,
Seems like a few of us are in the same boat...so to speak! I found the Solo while searching thru an Elio owners page. I currently am $1000 all in on the Elio (hope it still happens) and now got a spot in line for a Solo. Glad to see these are now in production. But, at the pace they project it will be about 18months before I see 1. I read they delivered the 1st few and 4 more in process...after that was 2-10/ month. Does anyone know if that is just an early stage est?

Thanks
Brian6891
Athol, MA
(07-16-2017, 02:15 PM)brian6891 Wrote: Hi all,
Seems like a few of us are in the same boat...so to speak! I found the Solo while searching thru an Elio owners page. I currently am $1000 all in on the Elio (hope it still happens) and now got a spot in line for a Solo. Glad to see these are now in production. But, at the pace they project it will be about 18months before I see 1. I read they delivered the 1st few and 4 more in process...after that was 2-10/ month. Does anyone know if that is just an early stage est?

Thanks
Brian6891
Athol, MA

Hi Brian. Congratulations on your reservation.
You did get the $1000 matching discount because of your Elio reservation right?

There are a number of us here that are dual reservation holders as well.
I'm also hoping that Electra Meccanica's plan is to under-promise and over-deliver.
It's just my personal opinion, but I think a lot of the ramp-up depends on private investors.

Hoping for the best. It helps when everyone spreads the word by sharing EMV's and our sites on social media.
Thanks for putting your green pin on our Solo demographics map. http://soloowners.net/usermap.php

Welcome to a very special group of individuals!

--DjD
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
Hi Brian, 
Glad to have another aboard. I also had a $1000 deposit on the Elio and I still want one but what I want most is a 3 wheel vehicle that I drive in the center position. I have 3 other friends that have Elio deposits and not one of them will sign on to the Solo. I love the Solo and really don't care about the debate on whether electric will save the world or not. I like the way it looks, the way it seems to handle and how fun it looks to drive. I also like not having to buy gas, oil changes or spark plugs, etc. I hope with all the problems that Elio is having that many more will move this direction which would really help to move the Solo along. I can tell you this -  it sure is a lot more fun waiting here watching Solo's out running around. Good Luck to us all!
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
I did send a follow up email about matching, still waiting to hear back. What is the total reserved now? I cant seem to find an actual #.
Welcome Brian! Regardless how long it takes to ramp production, it is good to see several fully tested preproduction SOLOs available for test drive events and more importantly Signature Series Solos rolling out to reservationists. Our Elio die hard friends will sign on to the Solo when they see how much fun we are having driving on our solo daily commutes.
White Hot Solo #166
(07-16-2017, 02:15 PM)brian6891 Wrote: I read they delivered the 1st few and 4 more in process...after that was 2-10/ month. Does anyone know if that is just an early stage est?

CEO Jerry has stated ramping up production is the key to survival of EMV/success of Solo. I think that means they will do everything they can to boost production. At the moment, they are using the design team to assemble Solo. Hiring dedicated assemblers surely has to be on the To Do list. I know from experience that practice improves quality and rate of production. With some revenue from sales EMV should be able to hire some assemblers and increase production either on a new assembly line or on another shift of assemblers. There's still a possibility of further investment from Dragons' Den, some current investor or a new investor to make increased production possible. I don't think it makes sense to make an Initial Public Offering until there is definite success in the market. The revenue raised from selling stock has to be much better on a profitable operation.

Every process has some rate-limiting step. In this case it may be the delay certifying each Solo complies with standards individually. That probably takes more time than making one Solo. If/When EMV gets permission to affix their own safety stickers that delay will drop to seconds after quality-control checks from days/weeks and there should be no reason to limit rate of production. I believe that will happen this summer. When revenue increases, rate of production can rise dramatically. EMV has the orders for a year or so of decent rates. Then the limit will be how many units they can sell. It's still not known how well the market will accept Solo. I think it is the right technology at the right time to gain acceptance for being zero-emission, electric and extremely efficient for short commutes and errands. Nothing does it better. It's like the first successful smartphone or the first successful calculator. Timing and benefits will spark success.
(07-16-2017, 07:58 PM)pogson Wrote: Every process has some rate-limiting step. In this case it may be the delay certifying each Solo complies with standards individually. That probably takes more time than making one Solo.

I seem to remember seeing or hearing a quote that it takes about a half-hour. Sorry, I don't have a link to it. IMO the most time consuming and costly part of the Canadian individual certification has to be EMV personnel driving the vehicle there and either (1) dropping it off and picking it up again, or (2) waiting there until the inspection is done.

I can almost guarantee (as a matter of fact I definitely remember a statement to this effect) that a large amount of EMV's attention and effort is presently directed at fund-raising.
And the simple logic for that is that any significant ramp-up is not going to come from the paltry "profit" (if there is any) from these first 2-10 vehicles per month.

It will come from funding from investors.
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(07-16-2017, 08:28 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: any significant ramp-up is not going to come from the paltry "profit" (if there is any) from these first 2-10 vehicles per month.

That could be true but investors are not demanding instant returns. EMV can spend revenue on more parts and labour. Both are likely to increase production. Assuming they have a fraction of a shift of assemblers now, adding one whole shift of assemblers can increase production by more than a factor of two, Solo was designed to be easy to assemble anywhere. If they can't make a reinvestment of revenue at this stage with little or no competition in the commuter space and a good queue of customers there's something wrong. Seeking further investment is not the same as desperately needing it. If they want instant investment, all the have to do is offer millions of shares on OTC market. They are not doing that. Even current investors are not offering shares to sell. EMV is waiting for increased profit/revenue/production before offering more shares. That's because selling more shares is not in the best interest of current investors and not essential at this stage.
(07-16-2017, 10:27 PM)pogson Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 08:28 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: any significant ramp-up is not going to come from the paltry "profit" (if there is any) from these first 2-10 vehicles per month.

That could be true but investors are not demanding instant returns. EMV can spend revenue on more parts and labour. Both are likely to increase production. Assuming they have a fraction of a shift of assemblers now, adding one whole shift of assemblers can increase production by more than a factor of two, Solo was designed to be easy to assemble anywhere. If they can't make a reinvestment of revenue at this stage with little or no competition in the commuter space and a good queue of customers there's something wrong. Seeking further investment is not the same as desperately needing it. If they want instant investment, all the have to do is offer millions of shares on OTC market. They are not doing that. Even current investors are not offering shares to sell. EMV is waiting for increased profit/revenue/production before offering more shares. That's because selling more shares is not in the best interest of current investors and not essential at this stage.

I don't think that they are waiting for increased profit/revenue/production before offering "more" shares.
They're  not even on the market yet. They've gotten approval and a symbol, yes. But they have not even launched.
Which means that no-one can publicly buy sell or trade ECCTF (not even EMV) even if they wanted to.
When we get close to the SEC launch date, rest assured, they'll let us know.

http://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/ECCTF/quote

No-one said they were "desperately" needing further investment.
They themselves have stated that they are seeking further investment for expansion.

As far as "If they can't make a reinvestment of revenue at this stage with little or no competition in the commuter space...
And a good queue of customers there's something wrong."... All I can tell you is... Well, then there must be something wrong.
Actually there's nothing wrong. It's just called waiting on further funding because it's not likely that they have spare millions in the bank.
And because they are already spending exponentially more than what the net from 2 - 10 Solos will be.

There is not jack for profit in 2 to 10 Solos per month in comparison to their ongoing and continuously escalating...
Multiple properties, tax, legal, insurance, staffing, accounting, video, travel, compliance and advertising costs now and in the near future.
There is relatively near nothing (and again I'll underline again for emphasis) substantial from that level of production to reinvest at this time.
And certainly not anywhere near enough to even think about quadrupling production or better (granting that it will actually begin at  10/mo.)...
And in doing so, get them to their next planned tier. That resource simply is not there and will not be there for some time to come.

And yes, again, building a Solo now has got to be significantly more expensive than building a Solo @ 100 units per month.
That's simple economics, Henry Ford, and business 101. That's why Elio Motors had to go big or stay home.
I have no doubt what-so-ever about EMV getting the funding that they need and therefore...
I haven't a single doubt that they will be expanding, but the first significant expansion will be due to investor funding.
Not due to spare change (if any)  left over after the behind-the-scenes cost of running the company and only building 2 - 10 Solos a month.

They are not going to work 5000% harder than they have to, to primitively boost production by only a few more vehicles.
As opposed to putting that money, time and energy into pursuing further funding that will buy them ease and efficiency in ramping up.
This is not your or my back yard garage here. These people are too smart for rinky-dink and poke-and-hope.
That's just not how this works. I agree to strongly disagree.

Again, I believe that EMV is right where they should be and probably right where they want to be. Including the present production rate.
It is not about us the customers right now. The big show (though EMV probably won't say it without being asked) is about investors.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
I have confidence in Jerry Kroll's business savvy to secure funding needed to ramp production when they are ready to ramp production.  My guess is EMV will add an assembly crew or two, but will wait for feedback and data from the first 100+ Signature Series Pilot Fleet owners experiences before ramping for the masses.  Time will tell how their plan comes together, but 2018 is looking to be a very good year for EMV and the reservationists.  

The good news is investors can test drive a production ready SOLO, visit the main EMV Showroom, production facilities/2 Solo Stores, and have confidence in EMV based on their success to date.
White Hot Solo #166