Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo #1 Sold To Greens And Beans, Sighted In Vancouver
(10-20-2017, 12:08 AM)Jamaf Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 09:31 PM)Leona Wrote: The little car is in the shop having a check up.  Greens and Beans is only a mile from the shop so they pick it up every so often to give it the once over.  They leave us a little electric Fiat to drive while they have it.  It's nice but it's no Solo.  I suffer with SSA when the Solo is gone.  What is that you ask?  Solo Separation Anxiety.  It's awful.  The car will back in the morning so I will feel better then.  I like seeing it sitting in front of the restaurant while I work.  I LOVE it!
That's all she wrote..............

Hi Leona.. What kind of things (if any) have gone wrong with the car since you got it?  Have you taken your Solo on the Hwy?  How is the battery drain/range when she is buzzing along at 100kph?

Nothing major has gone wrong since receiving the car.  Just little things have needed tweaking.  It had a crappy windshield wiper (they put on a new one).  No cup holder (they installed one).  The car is on the highway a lot.  My son uses it to commute to and from our restaurant four days a week.  The top speed is 135 km hour and he uses the HOV lane.  There are two reasons that the Solo can use the HOV lane.  One - it is at full capacity and two - it is electric.  It is hard for me to answer battery questions.  I don't pay much attention to how fast it drains because as soon as the car gets to the restaurant it is put on the charger.  I know that on the days I use it, and if I just drive home (10 minute drive) and back to work in the morning I use less than 10%.  I hope this helps a little  Smile
[+] 2 users Like Leona's post
Thank-you for your personal reflections about your new car Leona!

If you were giving us (forum readers) a bunch of unsubstantiated numbers and specifications I would be a little wary of your claims, but your well-written expressions on the joy of owning and driving the first delivered Solo are infectious. I am happy that someone that has no fear of expressing themselves was one of the first to support Jerry and his Crew and give honest feedback about this vehicle.

If you can get a quote or two from your Son it would be cool to hear from the next generation; the people that will be benefitting the most by the move to electric cars.

I am visiting my Brother in Mission BC next week and have a tentative test drive Nov 1st (I've got #206 reserved...Silver) and while there I would like to support your business; could you leave a link here so Peter and I can find you and #1 Han?

Have a Beauty Day!
Ralph Zavadil
(Google me...I dare ya!}

[Image: DSC_5269.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Zalf's post
Thank you for your kind words Ralph.  Greens and Beans is easy to find.  143 E. Columbia Street New Westminster.  Tell your brother that it is two blocks from The Royal Columbian Hospital.  Jerry is often here for breakfast in the morning.  It would be fun if you came when he was here.  I am going to go google you now............
Hey Ralph,

My names Matthew Green. I'm Leona's son. Dude I love your videos, hilarious!!!! You are a Legend Bro. You are gonna love the Solo. I've had a lot of high performance cars and this is by far the most fun to drive. Not because its the fastest or best looking but because it actually feels like you are driving again. All these cars nowadays are loaded with shocks and power steering, drivers assist and all this garbage that takes us away from really feeling the road. When you are humming down the hwy at 135 kmph you feel alive. The suspension is super tight and responsive.
Apparently we are getting upgraded batteries soon that are gonna take the range and acceleration to a whole new planet! The one thing i wish the car didn't have was a governor........... I wanna go faster!!!!

Matt

A note from Leona: Please keep the governor  Rolleyes
[+] 2 users Like Leona's post
That's exactly what I'm looking for........a quick and nimble performance vehicle you drive, not one that drives you.  Although, speaking as an Old Guy driver, if I don't get one soon, an autonomous vehicle may be my only option.  

Note:  Matt, Listen to your Mother. Smile
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 2 users Like Rickb's post
(10-21-2017, 05:03 PM)Leona Wrote: Hey Ralph,

My names Matthew Green. I'm Leona's son. Dude I love your videos, hilarious!!!! You are a Legend Bro. You are gonna love the Solo. I've had a lot of high performance cars and this is by far the most fun to drive. Not because its the fastest or best looking but because it actually feels like you are driving again. All these cars nowadays are loaded with shocks and power steering, drivers assist and all this garbage that takes us away from really feeling the road. When you are humming down the hwy at 135 kmph you feel alive. The suspension is super tight and responsive.
Apparently we are getting upgraded batteries soon that are gonna take the range and acceleration to a whole new planet! The one thing i wish the car didn't have was a governor........... I wanna go faster!!!!

Matt

A note from Leona: Please keep the governor  Rolleyes

What's going down Matthew! (and Leona!)

Now THAT is the kind of honest vehicle review I've been looking for since joining this forum....simple and to the point. 

My current vehicles (1965 Ford Econoline and 1971 Datsun 240z) both have standard steering and brakes and I haven't hit anyone yet. Both vehicles keep me in tune with the road and feeling as if I am driving THEM, not visa-versa. Some people are accustomed to driving vehicles with power EVERYTHING and feel afraid of actually having to use their arm and leg muscles. It's obvious that you and Mom don't fit into that realm.

A few questions if you don't mind (if you do, sorry as I don't have instant massaging, that's Harvey)

1. What's the view like around transport trucks? Have you been squeezed out and if so, how loud is the Solo horn?

2. What do chicks (or for Leona, guys) think about it? Have you ever taken someone for a ride while they sat at the back of the seat and you sat on her/his lap (or versa-visa?)

3. Have you ever ALMOST run out of juice? Or been pulled over by the cops? (Thats 2 questions...sorry)

That's all the questions for now...except for what's yer shirt size? If I can find an extra Cap'n Video shirt I'll drop one off on Nov 1st.

Oh yeah...if you enjoyed my stunts...you may enjoy the film (DISCLOSURE...I MAKE $0 PER DOWNLOAD...STOOPID AGENT)

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/movie/beauty...d468864927

P.S.  Keep the speed down Dude....Mom wants Grandkids.

YEEOWW!
[+] 1 user Likes Zalf's post
Rick, You and Mom can put a stop under the acceleration pedal, and Matt and I will leave it out! Ha!
[+] 3 users Like Dougm's post
Isn't there a speed limit in Canada? 135 kph?????
Hey Ralph,

So in regards to the driving around transport trucks, I do just that ( I drive around them). I haven't felt uncomfortable at all when behind the wheel of the Solo. The drivers seat is completely surrounded buy thick tubed roll bars and I feel completely safe in it. Chicks totally love it and  I've had a phone # left on the windshield by an admirer Smile. But no one loves it more than my wife. 
  I've not had any lap riders as of yet. Have you seen that Seinfeld episode where kramer is out test driving a car and wants to check the mileage? That was me in the solo like a week after we got it. I ran it down to 10% which put the car in to limp mode (5 mph) top speed. It wouldn't have made it to my house so I parked it and walked home. I drove my other car back to where i left it and gave the guy who owned the house a bottle of whiskey to let me charge it up for a couple hours. Don't run it that low unless u have whisky!

I have been pulled over at the H.O.V entrance and I hammered the cop with 3 reasons to let me go. 
  1.  Its electric.
  2.  Its a maximum occupancy of one.
  3.  I'm one hell of a guy!

Shirt size is Large. I wanna watch your documentary. Try to come to Greens between 1:30 and 3:00 if you can because i'd like to meet ya.

In response to my good pal SparkE Heart  who called my mother a Thoughtless idiot. Maybe this cars not for you as it requires positive attitude to drive. 
  Ps. I only go faster than the posted speed limit when at mission race ways Smile
[+] 3 users Like Matt's post
(10-25-2017, 05:50 PM)Matt Wrote: I ran it down to 10% which put the car in to limp mode (5 mph) top speed. It wouldn't have made it to my house so I parked it and walked home.

Ouch! That's good to know. I'm surprised the limp mode is so slow. The maximum efficiency of the car would be higher at a bit higher speed under normal circumstances. I think the reason for the low speed is to protect the battery. It's made of many hundreds of cells connected in series/parallel circuits to provide the required kWh and voltage. Not all cells are created equal and there will always be one cell that goes flat before the others. It will be reversed in polarity. It is important to keep the battery from reaching that point to prevent early degradation of the battery. 10% provides a margin for error. 5mph provides motivation to the operator not to go there... Some batteries in EVs have special circuitry to prevent reversal of cells. I don't know about Solo.

There are reports that Solo can reach ~200km at city speeds. In that case, a commuter should never reach 10%. I'd really appreciate it if Matt would give us a few readings of km/kWh at various speeds if it can be done without causing an accident, perhaps on the track. I expect the peak reading will be in the range of 15-20km/h rather than 5mph. It's a combination of air-drag, rolling resistance and overhead like lights balancing electrical efficiency, battery capacity and the length of the trip. At very low speeds, auxiliary loads become significant as the motor's load becomes very small. So, somewhere, there will be an optimal speed for maximizing range given no wind, level road and constant speed etc. One could go to that optimal speed well in advance of the limp mode in order to avoid embarrassment.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post