Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solo #1 Sold To Greens And Beans, Sighted In Vancouver
See https://www.facebook.com/bananalab.ca/po...6168285279

It's Leona, one of Greens and Beans owners, showing off her new baby! It's black and bears "prestige" plates. This confirms Qubit's reporting and my confidence that EMV Solo is happening.
[+] 4 users Like pogson's post
(06-17-2017, 08:36 AM)pogson Wrote: See https://www.facebook.com/bananalab.ca/po...6168285279

It's Leona, one of Greens and Beans owners, showing off her new baby! It's black and bears "prestige" plates. This confirms Qubit's reporting and my confidence that EMV Solo is happening.

Laugh out loud! (yeah, I know there's a TLA for that, but I wanted a little more punch).

Look at her all Solo'd up and cruisin' like it's old hat.
Good on her!

btw: Did you hear the whine?
You can tell that the Solo doesn't have power steering when she straightens it out after pulling into the street. Smile
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(06-17-2017, 05:41 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: You can tell that the Solo doesn't have power steering when she straightens it out after pulling into the street. Smile

Yep. Driving Solo in the city can be good exercise! Big Grin

(06-17-2017, 05:33 PM)Qubit Wrote: Look at her all Solo'd up and cruisin' like it's old hat.
Good on her!

I heard it. It's a bit like the old trolley buses. It sounds like reduction gearing but it could be belt noise too. I think cruising should minimize it. It seems to be loudest when accelerating. I doubt it will interfere with me listening to my "oldies"... Are there any mechanical engineers here? Will this improve with usage or will we just tune it out?
"Some whine, noticeable but not obtrusive." Quote Qubit.

Jerry stated during the live chat that the loud whine in the videos is more pronounced as the result of the fact that it's recorded audio playback. I don't think the whine will be an issue and overtime will become ambient sound we hardly notice and or even enjoy..........like the rumble of a Harley V-Twin. Smile
White Hot Solo #166
(06-17-2017, 09:18 PM)pogson Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 05:41 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: You can tell that the Solo doesn't have power steering when she straightens it out after pulling into the street. Smile

Yep. Driving Solo in the city can be good exercise! Big Grin

(06-17-2017, 05:33 PM)Qubit Wrote: Look at her all Solo'd up and cruisin' like it's old hat.
Good on her!

I heard it. It's a bit like the old trolley buses. It sounds like reduction gearing but it could be belt noise too. I think cruising should minimize it. It seems to be loudest when accelerating. I doubt it will interfere with me listening to my "oldies"... Are there any mechanical engineers here? Will this improve with usage or will we just tune it out?

Certainly no engineer here. I don't even like trains.

By my recollection, the whine started at about 10 mph (16 KPH in millimetric). Didn't hear it rolling down the sidewalk. It was minimal under easy acceleration and increased somewhat under load. Then quieter again while maintaining speed. Definitely load related and pretty much what I would expect from a direct belt drive- like on a Harley. As the edges of the teeth on the belt round a bit and wear to fit the gears, the noise will subside somewhat. With no idler, correct initial tension setting will be critical. The belts don't stretch, so no issues there.

All photos indicate no gear reduction other than the motor gear and the gear on the wheel. The big gear has 128 teeth, the motor gear looks to be around 24T- so about 5:1 ratio.
'Course that could change as things progress.

Hard to be sure, but I think this photo shows the drive gear aligned with the center of the motor, not offset for additional gear reduction.

[Image: Motor_gear.png]

As mentioned, I liked the whine. To my way of thinking, the whine, manual steering and (not 'too') firm suspension all add up to a great 'road feel'. I can always recline in the wife's living room-on-wheels if I want peace & quiet.

Strapping on a Solo, crankin' drug-induced tunes from the 60's and using my foot to put on some speed is gonna be heaven.
(06-17-2017, 08:36 AM)pogson Wrote: See https://www.facebook.com/bananalab.ca/po...6168285279

The audio of her voice sounds like "e-ose", but I am guessing that she called out "Here goes" as she sped off.   Thanks for the Facebook link--exciting for all of us "in waiting".
Smile
(06-17-2017, 11:14 PM)Qubit Wrote: ...
By my recollection, the whine started at about 10 mph (16 KPH in millimetric). Didn't hear it rolling down the sidewalk. It was minimal under easy acceleration and increased somewhat under load. Then quieter again while maintaining speed. Definitely load related and pretty much what I would expect from a direct belt drive- like on a Harley. As the edges of the teeth on the belt round a bit and wear to fit the gears, the noise will subside somewhat. With no idler, correct initial tension setting will be critical. The belts don't stretch, so no issues there.

All photos indicate no gear reduction other than the motor gear and the gear on the wheel. The big gear has 128 teeth, the motor gear looks to be around 24T- so about 5:1 ratio.

Hard to be sure, but I think this photo shows the drive gear aligned with the center of the motor, not offset for additional gear reduction.
There is a type of gear like that, called a planetary gear that keeps input and output shaft colinear.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicyclic_gearing

That raises the parts count and does require lubrication. I'd expect some noise from something like that running at high RPM.
(06-18-2017, 07:50 AM)pogson Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 11:14 PM)Qubit Wrote: ...

There is a type of gear like that, called a planetary gear that keeps input and output shaft colinear.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicyclic_gearing

That raises the parts count and does require lubrication. I'd expect some noise from something like that running at high RPM.

Good points, pogson. Compact package, too. Like in automatic transmissions.

While perusing Google search results for "ev motor", I found one that looks to be similar to the motor shown in EM's photos:
[Image: Rear_drive.png] [Image: hpevs_ac_51_brushless_motor_kit_144_volt.jpg]

Parts pricing for DIY EVs appears to be in a state of flux to say the least. This morning the motor w/ control is $4,700. 2 days ago it was $5,300!
I'm waiting for 2fer Tuesday. Here's the link . 144V & similar torque, HP specs.

A big gas engine is loud enough to drown out the other noises in a car- tires, transmission, rear axle gears, fan, alternator, my seatbelt buckle dangling from the door bottom, etc.
Solo's got belt and tire noise. Probably some from the motor, too.
(06-18-2017, 09:56 AM)Qubit Wrote: While perusing Google search results for "ev motor", I found one that looks to be similar to the motor shown in EM's photos:

Good find! Quoting the page on ebay:

"Features regenerative braking and idle function as well." and it has a 2-year warranty. I like that.

I doubt there's any gear-reduction going on in there, so the whine must just be from the belt. I can drive slowly and go easy on acceleration... That will give higher efficiency too.

See http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_in...cts_id=172

This product has been around awhile so it's not an unknown. I like reliable propulsion. Check out the torque v RPM curve. It's almost flat to 4500 RPM! Flat out, it's about 86% efficient and at about 2000 RPM where I might run, it's 91% efficient! Eat your hearts out, gas-guzzlers!