Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNET Road show video
hi guys check this out

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/videos/ele...-electric/
[+] 5 users Like ram's post
Even if he couldn't get the name of the company right a single time ...
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
(04-21-2017, 10:53 PM)Rickb Wrote: One of the very first media reviews was all thumbs up.

But he's got a point about the noise. As we have heard on previous videos, the electro motor makes a lot of noise.
[+] 2 users Like Lotus's post
(04-22-2017, 06:35 AM)Lotus Wrote:
(04-21-2017, 10:53 PM)Rickb Wrote: One of the very first media reviews was all thumbs up.

But he's got a point about the noise. As we have heard on previous videos, the electro motor makes a lot of noise.

On that note, I've been impressed with how much quieter Arcimoto has seemed to have made the SRK.

Something to bring to Jerry's attention in the May 1st Video conference perhaps?
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
(04-22-2017, 06:35 AM)Lotus Wrote: But he's got a point about the noise. As we have heard on previous videos, the electro motor makes a lot of noise.

Is it the motor that makes that noise or the drive-belt? I only heard the noise once during the video while he was talking about responsiveness to the accelerator. I intend mostly to be cruising with my Solo, so I don't expect the radio to be drowned out. There is a new regulation in USA about EVs needing to make noise to warn off pedestrians. I think it's a backdoor to preferring ICEd vehicles but that whine might be a defence for EM. The tiny increase in rate of collisions with EVs is greatly offset by the reduction in lethality, because of the speed and Solo, with it's smaller size, should not be a threat to pedestrians who "stop, look or listen". See https://www.federalregister.gov/document...c-vehicles

I think those noise standards are pretty silly as they would not be noticed in a noisy environment and they aren't necessary in a quiet environment. They are talking about regulating EVs in order to prevent a tiny number of mild collisions and ignoring facts like ICEs having far more collisions per 100K vehicles. People who drive EVs are just more careful of their darlings. Instead of passing regulations about such things, government should promote education which would do far more to protect people. In my whole life I've only had two near-collisions with pedestrians and both were prevented by sensible driving: low speed in dangerous situations and keeping an eye open for pedestrians. In neither case would a bit of noise have mattered. One was a child running into the street and the other was a J-walker at a busy downtown intersection.

I think that standard is like the one put out when ICEd vehicles emerged. They were required to be preceded by a pedestrian carrying a red flag to warn people. After those flag-men started getting run over the rule was dropped...
(04-22-2017, 09:17 AM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:

On that note, I've been impressed with how much quieter Arcimoto has seemed to have made the SRK.

Something to bring to Jerry's attention in the May 1st Video conference perhaps?

If you want to delay the introduction of the Solo even more, so that they can redesign something else. Maybe they'll ship by 2019?
(04-22-2017, 02:47 PM)Rickb Wrote: Noise is a non-issue for me since I will be using SoundRacer's Electric vehicle Sound Technolog through the 2 speakers mounted in the SOLOs doors along with an external speaker mount. 

I too think it's a non-issue. After all the reviewer was able to maintain a good signal-to-noise ratio with a lapel microphone throughout. I only heard the whine once during acceleration. Hearing a bit of road-noise is actually useful if it can warn you about damaged tires or failing bearings.
(04-22-2017, 01:58 PM)SparkE Wrote:
(04-22-2017, 09:17 AM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:

If you want to delay the introduction of the Solo even more, so that they can redesign something else. Maybe they'll ship by 2019?

It is not about soundproofing (sound on outside also). Is the motor a prototype, chinese maybe ? Will the production model be with a different motor?
Red Hot Iron-y is an underappreciated art forum, especially on the internet.
(04-22-2017, 03:48 PM)Lotus Wrote: It is not about soundproofing (sound on outside also). Is the motor a prototype, chinese maybe ? Will the production model be with a different motor?

The guy doing the review said the outside road noise from underneath was also very noticeable and seemed to think it was quite a bit above average.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.