Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kroll to Host Chat 04-03
looks like he doesnt have a idea of whats involved in autonomous vehicle, there different levels of it , adaptive cruise control is like abc of it, how can he have autonomous vehicle tested by this yrs end but not have adaptive cruise control, and anyone who drives a electric while knows how easy and convenient is it to drive with one pedal and he apparently drives a tesla model x, don't know which features he uses in his tesla and karma(not sure what kind of driving assistance is available in karma)

(04-03-2017, 11:03 PM)pogson Wrote:
(04-03-2017, 10:27 PM)ram Wrote: today jerry did a total 180, can this guy be believed

So negative! Jerry is the CEO, the visionary, the guru... He's not the chief engineer. Just as we don't expect Trump to get down into the weeds on detail, you should not expect Jerry to do that for a dozen people on the web.

EM is a tiny organisation. I want them to ship a car more than I want them to drown me in technical details (which I would love almost as much as I will love my Solo), and I want Jerry making the deals that make this happen. I'm going to buy the Solo no matter what negativity is out here and I will find out what it does. It's a commuter car, not the spaceship to Mars. It will certainly do what I need whether or not it has ABS, regen, or a rear-view mirror.

If these niggling details are showstoppers, please drop out so my number can come up sooner.  Smile I'm working on my wife to buy one as well. She doesn't know what ABS or regen are and with two side mirrors so far apart, rear-view is hardly needed.

HI raising my concerns, not discouraging you from  buying what you want to buy, go ahead by all means do what you want
[+] 1 user Likes ram's post
(04-03-2017, 10:55 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: ...

I put the old Windows Vista Home through it's paces all day today and it's exhausted. That might have been part of the issue in the beginning of the meeting..
I'm giving some very serious thought to doing a fresh install of Win 10 Pro. I've got all my files backed up, but I'm still afraid of losing things and functionality.

I use Debian GNU/Linux. I dropped M$ about 1999.

He said that there actually is mild regen already built into the system via the controller.
That co-insides with what Sethodine said over at EO about almost all EV controllers already having regen built in.
That's what I expected as Solo uses off the shelf parts. Regen is mostly a matter of getting a braking signal and shifting the phase of the drive to the motor. There can be many variations on this but mild regen is probably great for the city folk, where I rarely venture.

He said, in so many words, that the Solo has proven to have a range of between 160km and 200km (99.2mi to 124mi) in real life.

YES! DATA! I love numbers. I was confused by the lack of information on range but these numbers are consistent with what one would expect from such a light small car with wind-resistance being the main load on level roads at highway speeds. 200km is likely at speeds from 20km/h to about 70 km/h. 160km is achievable at about 100km/h. I base this on published information on the Nissan Leaf and the Teslas. Solo has less rolling resistance because of fewer wheels and lighter weight and less air-resistance due to small frontal area.

U.S. compliance is almost done. There was some kind of miscommunication that resulted in modifications and re-tests. Canada and Europe are next.

YAY! I think this is the last hurdle. No doubt Jerry will be breaking out the Champagne or rolling on the floor laughing for joy when this comes through. I know I will be very happy. I've read the Canadian specs and it looks to me as though the Solo complies with "Three Wheeled Vehicle". A cloud I see is that various provinces have different rules for licensing/registration of vehicles. It's entirely possible that I would not be able to drive my Solo into Saskatchewan as things stand. I know bureaucrats can coordinate things once the federal certification exists but that takes time and I want my Solo ASAP.

Thanks to Dale and the EM folks. I just want to learn more about this wonderfully appropriate concept.

(04-03-2017, 10:52 PM)ram Wrote: sorry about two vehicles per month  until it is ramped up, few dozen delivered this year, so may fifty by the end of this yr , don't know who is going buy one if you can't register

I don't understand how it can be as low as two vehicles per month. Didn't they build the prototypes faster than that?

EM is tiny. They don't have lots of people but if they start shipping units they will have cash flow to hire people and ship more and make more money and... Alternatively they can work longer hours or gain more speed through practice. I can't see two vehicles per month as remaining the status for very long once certification is done. The timetable on the website is 50 this quarter, 50 the next and 300 the next, 400 this year, so I think the ramp up is imminent. They should be able to make two vehicles a week this week if they wanted and like most other things they can improve in speed/productivity with practice.

It's possible there exist impediments to ramping up like no inventory of parts but they already have enough experience and space and equipment to greatly exceed two per month.
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post
(04-03-2017, 10:27 PM)ram Wrote: Hi dale
thanks for your efforts in organizing this,

do you remember where this came no regen, wasn't it from emv, today jerry did a total 180, can this guy  be believed , from reading best battery in the world is new battery from tesla, even that has lower performance in cold weather , if the vehicle has regen when you drive in the city it should give you more than 100  miles , these two things he is not straight forward  on he is selling a lot sounds like snake oil to me

in my opinion he just trying sell the vehicles with what he thinks is his charm, he has lots of catching up to do

here is an interesting article about one pedal driving
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109...ectric-car
I don't remember anyone at EMV specifically saying there would be no regen on the signature Solos.
I do remember Jerry responding to questions about regen by saying the benefits of regen were not very significant.
But never specifically saying whether the first Solos would or would not have it.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
Very disappointed from chat. First Jerry seemed excited to say 2 deliveries then 4 then 8 then maybe they could produce 16 a month. I guess at #391 that puts me several years away! He also said if you know of a place that they can manufacture let him know? Then I asked if the deliveries were on schedule an he said that their is no schedule. That's funny because in his order letter to me he said delivery in Q3 2017 just like on his web site. Then lastly he said there will be no A/C in the first Solos and that you should just roll down your windows. That may work in Canada but as a commuter vehicle in the U.S. 80% of the country has a hot or humid summer, not fun with your suit on going to work, if I wanted another motorcycle I would of bought one! No ABS, no regen, no air bag, and no air. Sounds like Fred Flinstones car.
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
(04-04-2017, 07:17 AM)Chris Wrote: Very disappointed from chat. First Jerry seemed excited to say 2 deliveries then 4 then 8 then maybe they could produce 16 a month. I guess at #391 that puts me several years away! He also said if you know of a place that they can manufacture let him know? Then I asked if the deliveries were on schedule an he said that their is no schedule. That's funny because in his order letter to me he said delivery in Q3 2017 just like on his web site. Then lastly he said there will be no A/C in the first Solos and that you should just roll down your windows. That may work in Canada but as a commuter vehicle in the U.S. 80% of the country has a hot or humid summer, not fun with your suit on going to work, if I wanted another motorcycle I would of bought one! No ABS, no regen, no air bag, and no air. Sounds like Fred Flinstones car.

You must have missed the part about ramp-up. By the end of the year they will have roughly 400 produced. They start off small scale until they can afford the resources to manufacture at large scale. I'm sure you'll have yours by the end of the year.
Also he said the very first solos will not have A/C... By that he was referring to the first of the first. He said A/C will be standard in most Sig series. I'm fairly confident that by the time they get to #391, the A/C will be ready.
[+] 1 user Likes Hussey's post
(04-04-2017, 07:17 AM)Chris Wrote: Very disappointed from chat. First Jerry seemed excited to say 2 deliveries then 4 then 8 then maybe they could produce 16 a month. I guess at #391 that puts me several years away! He also said if you know of a place that they can manufacture let him know? Then I asked if the deliveries were on schedule an he said that their is no schedule. That's funny because in his order letter to me he said delivery in Q3 2017 just like on his web site. Then lastly he said there will be no A/C in the first Solos and that you should just roll down your windows. That may work in Canada but as a commuter vehicle in the U.S. 80% of the country has a hot or humid summer, not fun with your suit on going to work, if I wanted another motorcycle I would of bought one! No ABS, no regen, no air bag, and no air. Sounds like Fred Flinstones car.

Hi Chris.
Good post. That's why I asked him to give a quick review of the schedule near the end of the meeting. I Missed part of it the first time and was a bit confused.
I look at it this way. I think the last thing he wants to do is overpromise and underdeliver. Unlike other mfg we have a long and dull history with.
And at least the airplane hasn't stalled in mid-air like others have. I see a lot of forward momentum from my perspective.
It seems Jerry has either realized that he's been using mild regen all along or they changed controllers.

I'm not buying one w/o' A/C. I can take that theory in the exact opposite direction. That cabin's so small, body heat alone will probably be too much. Big Grin
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(04-03-2017, 11:03 PM)pogson Wrote:
(04-03-2017, 10:27 PM)ram Wrote: today jerry did a total 180, can this guy be believed

So negative! Jerry is the CEO, the visionary, the guru... He's not the chief engineer. Just as we don't expect Trump to get down into the weeds on detail, you should not expect Jerry to do that for a dozen people on the web.

EM is a tiny organisation. I want them to ship a car more than I want them to drown me in technical details (which I would love almost as much as I will love my Solo), and I want Jerry making the deals that make this happen. I'm going to buy the Solo no matter what negativity is out here and I will find out what it does. It's a commuter car, not the spaceship to Mars. It will certainly do what I need whether or not it has ABS, regen, or a rear-view mirror.

If these niggling details are showstoppers, please drop out so my number can come up sooner.  Smile I'm working on my wife to buy one as well. She doesn't know what ABS or regen are and with two side mirrors so far apart, rear-view is hardly needed.
pogson,
    At the rate this is sinking downhill, you may just get your wish (your Sig. Series Solo) sooner than you are scheduled now. Unless Uncle Jerry is going to give DEEP discounts to those w/ $ deposited - he will see res. holders back out. Why would I pay THE SAME $ as someone who is WISE enough to hold out for ALL THE FEATURES HE PROMISED IN THE PAST - those that he is backing away from  now "...May not make it into the Signature Series..." Does he really believe his autograph is worth that much? I know there are those on this sight who are starting to see the light (similarities to another autocycle wannabe) as well as those who will blindly believe and make excuses for JK - until they simply cannot. I'll wait until I can get what is PROMISED - NOT CHANGED ON A WHIM.
2015 Nissan Leaf owner/lover
(04-04-2017, 04:11 PM)STEPHENSOLO Wrote:     At the rate this is sinking downhill, you may just get your wish (your Sig. Series Solo) sooner than you are scheduled now.
Some people see the cup half empty. I see my cup about to run over...

For me, the Solo is a good deal if it rolls and will do 160km on a charge. I drove to the post office today, five miles there and back. The Solo could drive all week on the energy I wasted heating up my ICE and what went out the exhaust. The Solo is worth every penny to me. It's a very efficient vehicle. Once people own Solos and tell the world, I think there will be many who will take up the slack buying them. My biggest fear is that my wife will confiscate mine and I might have to wait in the queue again... Maybe I should order two.
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post
I am a realist and my cup is currently empty.  However, another Solo Store ribbon cutting on Saturday, a successful Vancouver Auto Show, visible pre-production Solo builds and testing, and happily refunded reservation deposits.  Simply get a refund if you don't like the Solo specs or EMV business model.   This is not even close to the other guys business model.  I understood from the beginning what the Signature Series Solo's were.........early adopter vehicles........and specs on future models will change.  The Signature Series Solo's changing specs work for me at the $14,500 price point.  I expect the AC option, but that's not even a deal breaker on short run trips........Ill roll the window down.   Performance, reliability, build quality, and craftsmanship are far more important to me.

Stephen.........give me a break on your comparison to the other guys. Smile  Your age factor allows for the added time to wait for added options you feel important.    Buy what you like, Like what you buy.......if or when you get the opportunity to buy it.
White Hot Solo #166
(04-04-2017, 08:26 AM)Hussey Wrote:

You must have missed the part about ramp-up. By the end of the year they will have roughly 400 produced. They start off small scale until they can afford the resources to manufacture at large scale. I'm sure you'll have yours by the end of the year.
Also he said the very first solos will not have A/C... By that he was referring to the first of the first. He said A/C will be standard in most Sig series. I'm fairly confident that by the time they get to #391, the A/C will be ready.
I hope you are right. I like so much about the solo but I live in Phoenix and no A/C would be a deal breaker. I work at a busy Circle K in Scottsdale and see about 1000 people a day, I think half of them are all waiting to see the Solo parked out front. I'd bet he would have another 100 orders from here in the first week.
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post