Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door Update
A quick thought about the USA Solo certification process. The Solo is classified as a motorcycle......if it meets the motorcycle requirements and the EPA's emission standards it should be a go. Doors or the number of functioning doors are of no consequence.

The Solo would be one of the most environmentally friendly and safest motorcycles on the planet.
White Hot Solo #166
(09-21-2016, 12:01 PM)Rickb Wrote: A quick thought about the USA Solo certification process.  The Solo is classified as a motorcycle......if it meets the motorcycle requirements and the EPA's emission standards it should be a go.  Doors or the number of functioning doors are of no consequence.

The Solo would be one of the most environmentally friendly and safest motorcycles on the planet.

You'd think that, but it is a bit more involved.  There are at least standards for lighting and braking as well as emissions.  It's been a while since I reviewed them, but it seems that there are other requirements as well.  On top of that, you have Elio's autocycle campaign that has made things easier in a few places, but more difficult in others.  IIRC, Elio pushed real hard for "autocycle" legislation to require ABS, airbags, and possibly ESC, even though they have never built a vehicle with those features.  Their scorched-earth efforts may have negative consequences for the trike market in the U.S.A. for years to come.

While I wouldn't mind ABS on the Solo, I don't want airbags, and don't want to see the price go up for either one.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post
Yes, motorcycle standards and requirements that should be easily met in the Solo.

Elio's autocycle campaign only makes things more difficult if becomes a new national vehicle classification.
That may come back to bite Elio Motors on the butt since they have no tested proof of concept.

The individual State's recent autocycle legislation is simply a sub-classification of a MC that varies from State to State when registering and licensing the three wheelers. It seems the worst case scenario is a future Solo or SRK owner will be required an MC endorsement and wear a helmet in the few states that require it.
White Hot Solo #166
Wanted to revisit this thread since I am a newbie.

When I was requested to give further update of information for the C-129 order, I requested air conditioning and working bilateral side doors be placed on my order.

I for one will campaign these items become higher priority before #695 rolls off the assembly line.
Welcome to The Solo Owners and Future Owners Forum.
Ready for #695
In regards to the doors, all Solos will be equipped with two doors. This was changed last year when they built the black preproduction Solo .  Smile
2 doors maximized efficiency in the production process and makes the SOLO a 'World Car'.

In regards to the AC, Jerry said in the last video update that the AC components were being bench tested and may likely be installed in one of the pre-production SOLOs for road testing by now.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
(09-10-2017, 01:09 PM)Manfred Sieg Wrote: In regards to the doors, all Solos will be equipped with two doors. This was changed last year when they built the black preproduction Solo .  Smile

(09-10-2017, 05:01 PM)Rickb Wrote: 2 doors maximized efficiency in the production process and makes the SOLO a 'World Car'.

In regards to the AC, Jerry said in the last video update that the AC components were being bench tested and may likely be installed in one of the pre-production SOLOs for road testing by now.

Thanks for the update gentlemen.
Welcome to The Solo Owners and Future Owners Forum.
Ready for #695
[+] 1 user Likes Lynn D's post