Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door Update
We've been wondering about the lack of a left outer door latch on the Solo.

I was told that under the current configuration, only the right side door opens.
The right side door latch placement has to do with safety and convenience.
It's on that side so drivers only open the Solo on the curb side (and not into traffic).

The left door is an actual door and, should the Solo be sold in places like the UK...
The latch can easily be placed on the left door  since the curb side is reversed in those countries.

I'm good with that.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(09-19-2016, 02:29 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: I was told that under the current configuration, only the right side door opens.
It's on that side so drivers only open the Solo on the curb side (and not into traffic).

The left door is an actual door and should the Solo be sold in places like the UK...
The latch can easily be placed on the left door since the curb side is reversed in those countries.

I'm good with that.

Sorry Dale, but that post really doesn't make much sense.  Who is supposedly speaking in each of the paragraphs?  If any of those are supposed to be responses from EM/JK, please indicate.   Huh
(09-19-2016, 03:09 PM)flying_solo Wrote:
(09-19-2016, 02:29 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: I was told that under the current configuration, only the right side door opens.

The left door is an actual door and should the Solo be sold in places like the UK...
The latch can easily be placed on the left door since the curb side is reversed in those countries.

I'm good with that.

Sorry Dale, but that post really doesn't make much sense.  Who is supposedly speaking in each of the paragraphs?  If any of those are supposed to be responses from EM/JK, please indicate.   Huh

Just me 'speaking'. The information is from a couple of communications with Electra Meccanica.
I edited my posts here and in the Photos and Videos section. Hopefully they make more sense now.  Smile
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
So, if the left side door is `real´, can it be opened from the inside (but not from outside)?
(09-20-2016, 04:21 AM)paravil Wrote: So, if the left side door is `real´, can it be opened from the inside (but not from outside)?

This is what I asked about opening both doors from the inside: "I just want to clarify. This question concerns the Solo the way it's configured now (for North America).
Does only the right door open from the inside, or do both doors open from the inside?"

This is the answer I got: "Under the current configuration, only the right side door opens."

I'll let them know our concerns.
I'll also ask if Electra Meccanica might consider accommodating requests for...
Two fully functional doors complete with both outside latches if the demand proves to be  great enough.
If I understand their answer correctly, the right hand door is not installed with hinges and a lock, and is an integral part of the constuction. So, is the body delivered with two door openings, or just the one left hand one?
(09-20-2016, 09:59 AM)paravil Wrote: If I understand their answer correctly, the right hand door is not installed with hinges and a lock, and is an integral part of the constuction. So, is the body delivered with two door openings, or just the one left hand one?
Nope. The right hand door is installed with hinges (as per the photo in our 'Open Air Solo' thread) and (I would imagine) some sort of 'user access denied' lock mechanism.
It may not even have an inside right door latch handle.
If it does, you can be assured by that answer that it does not function.

It is a real door and not an integral part of the body construction.

This we do know... It just doesn't open from the inside or from the outside nor does it have an outside latch in the present 'North American' configuration.

I'm going out on a limb here and venturing to say that if this configuration is not done in order to comply with certification...
We could stand a chance of having both doors fully functional on our Solos.

If it is a certification compliance issue as flying_solo described, then unfortunately... it's probably fagetaboutit.
Jeff Holland got back to me and said that he has spoken with their engineering and certification team. That team informed him that they need to get through US and Canadian certification and compliance with the present configuration. He also said that following those certifications, Electra Meccanica will move to international and may make updates following those reviews and discussions.

So, I would say that Solo #1 wears the configuration we in North America can expect to be driving because of compliance requirements. I think flying_solo was spot on. Those statements sound to me like the Solo is well on it's way through the US and Canadian certification processes, but I don't want to read too much into it. It also sounds to me like we'll have to wait until the international processes begin before we know what configurations will be possible in countries other than the US and Canada.

Jeff indicated that they have made a few course corrections and updates based on the reservation holder surveys and he encourages us to keep the suggestions coming.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
Great info on the door and more importantly knowing that there is an actual engineering and compliance team working diligently on certification with the inhouse ability to make any required changes along the way.  

Isn't that a refreshing way for reservationist's and enthusiast's to communicate directly with the people responsible for designing, engineering, and marketing the Solo.  They are asking for customer input and making some changes along the way.........what........an unheard of business model for a new vehicle startup company.  Arcimoto has a similar business model.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
If they are going to sell product, regulatory certification has to be a high priority. It's good to see that they are trying to take an actual product through the process. If the Sparrow could get through U.S. certification, the Solo shouldn't have problems. Of course, regulations may well have changed over the last 12-15 years.

My guess is that should learn enough during the original certification process to make subsequent changes somewhat easier. Hard to tell when dealing with regulators.

My suggestions tend to fall into pretty obvious categories: more speed, more power, better range, better handling, easier maintenance, lower weight, and less cost. Ie, the same things engineers usually look for. LOL

My real request at this time is for as much solid info as possible. When specs are announced, it would be nice to know whether they are a) ideas b) plans c) work-in-progress d) undergoing testing or e) done deals. I'd particularly like to have more info on A/C, regen, range, battery and charging specs, and performance dynamics.

Among things I'd like to see considered, but wouldn't want to see them delay production or raise the price:
Two functional doors.
ABS
Driving modes: rain, normal, sport, track.