Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vancouver Auto Show
Do you plan on reporting your thoughts, or simply not much to report?
White Hot Solo #166
Well I spent the day at the Vancouver Auto show.  The EM booth was super busy but I did get to slip into the solo and chat a bit.  It looks like ABS is in the works but due to "engineering issues" the signature series wont have ABS.  That said they did emphasized the stopping power and ability of the Solo.  I did point out that stopping was not the issue but having control and maneuverability in a hard braking situation is.  So for now the clock turns back on the Solo to the 80s when cars didn't have ABS.   I did not talk about re gen as that will not be on Solo and extra mile or two you gain in a re gen dose not offset the extra cost.  It may be an option in the future.   The black solo is a tad more refined that the first white one.   The buttons and knobs seemed a little more in place.  The buttons even had red LED lights (see photo).  There was even a cup holder..  The two doors on the solo was nice although with a weeks worth of people going in and out of the solo the left hand door was having and "issue" and was not closing properly.   The EM staff was telling people to use the right door.  They emphasized that this is still a "pre production model"
[Image: IMG_7324_1.jpg]

The Vancouver auto show did offer a sign up for a test drive of a bunch of electric cars (solo not included).  I chose the new Chevy Bolt and had a chance to take one out for a 15 min scoot.  I have to say I was pretty impressed.  0-60 in approximately 7 seconds (close to the Solo estimated speed).  The rear view mirror was a screen that ran off the backup camera.  You could ether have it as regular mirror or the video screen.  It worked rather well (an idea for the rear view mirrorless Solo)  The re generation system worked very well and the range was impressive.  If it wasn't $49K Canadian for the model I drove it would jump on that one.  All in all I had a good time at the Auto show.  Not really much new from EM.  What I am really waiting for is a proper test drive.  I want to get behind the wheel (with my gopro) and see what she can do...   Hopefully soon. 

But for now.. enjoy the Vader car. 

[Image: 17426233_10154966309676043_3582967538702160863_n.jpg]

image hosting anonymous

upload images
[+] 3 users Like Jamaf's post
No ABS or Regeneration or airbags. It is a turn to the 1980s. I will keep my reservation spot, but will probably pass on the Solo. I hope to have the Model 3 by December which should fulfill my electric needs.
[+] 1 user Likes Acentre's post
Jamaf, thanks for your informative comments. Looking forward to a test drive too or the next best thing your GoPro video!

(04-02-2017, 11:31 AM)Acentre Wrote: No ABS or Regeneration or airbags. It is a turn to the 1980s. I will keep my reservation spot, but will probably pass on the Solo. I hope to have the Model 3 by December which should fulfill my electric needs.

!980's smeighties,  some of my favorite rides were late 50's-70's vehicles.......pre-ABS and I survived.  I don't mind going back in time to the good ole days, providing the Solo is spot on fun to drive.  The Solo will serve as my supplemental ride when my wife has taken our Tesla Model 3 out on a solo ride or is chauffeuring her girl friends.
White Hot Solo #166
I don't mind keeping it simply as long as the price is simply too Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Lotus's post
(04-02-2017, 11:31 AM)Acentre Wrote: No ABS or Regeneration or airbags. It is a turn to the 1980s. I will keep my reservation spot, but will probably pass on the Solo. I hope to have the Model 3 by December which should fulfill my electric needs.

I can deal with the no ABS or Regeneration but no airbags is making me a little hesitant now. If I am driving this everyday to work and back airbags for me are a safety feature that should not be overlooked. I can deal with no side or curtain airbags but no front airbag is not making me happy.
[+] 1 user Likes sebi2003's post
If you are concerned about safety, you should not  be considering a three wheeler motorcycle for your daily commute.  IMO

The Solo's small foot print and quick maneuverability coupled with your MC defensive driving skills should allow you to out maneuver difficult situations to avoid accidents.  

Also, no airbag has some added safety advantage,  in that you don't have to worry about a malfunctioning airbag exploding in your face unexpectedly.  How many times have you used the airbag in your other motorcycles..........or cars for that matter.  

I realize the added risk of driving a small car or motorcycle and wouldn't  feel as safe as I do in my heavier SUV.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
(04-03-2017, 12:34 PM)Rickb Wrote: If you are concerned about safety, you should not  be considering a three wheeler motorcycle for your daily commute.  IMO

The Solo's small foot print and quick maneuverability coupled with your MC defensive driving skills should allow you to out maneuver difficult situations to avoid accidents.  

Also, no airbag has some added safety advantage,  in that you don't have to worry about a malfunctioning airbag exploding in your face unexpectedly.  How many times have you used the airbag in your other motorcycles..........or cars for that matter.  

I realize the added risk of driving a small car or motorcycle and wouldn't  feel as safe as I do in my heavier SUV.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have been driving/riding for 15 years and have never once crashed (other than minor fender bender). That being said, airbags for me is like having insurance... I hope to never use it but am happy to have it when I need it. 

I will have to wait for a test drive event to make up my mind fully.
[+] 1 user Likes sebi2003's post
I agree. The more safety features the better, but it's not a deal breaker for me. If it's a hoot to drive I'll assume the risk.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
(04-03-2017, 12:34 PM)Rickb Wrote: If you are concerned about safety, you should not  be considering a three wheeler motorcycle for your daily commute.  IMO

There are many factors to safety. While Solo may lack some refinements, being a smaller target means fewer collisions unless someone really is out to get you.  Sad Not having 100 litres of gasoline in the car makes me feel much safer. I intend to drive more slowly to increase range/efficiency so the energy available to kill me is about 1/4 what I would have in a collision with a rock/abutment in an ICED vehicle. Jerry has built in some crush distance and materials that scale with this mass of vehicle. Drive safely and enjoy life.
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post