Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vancouver Auto Show
Big Grin 
(03-31-2017, 02:50 PM)Rickb Wrote:
(03-31-2017, 07:23 AM)Chris Wrote: Still waiting for all the exciting new news coming from the auto show. First deliveries, standard equipment , new designs location of new stores etc. Waited for live Facebook feed (nothing). Started to think on was on the Elio site.
Elio Site?  I don't think so.  I've been following the Elio kick off since 2008 (9 years).

I've been following the Solo kick off since mid 2015 (1 1/2 years).  There is no comparison whatsoever between the 2 vehicle startup business models, CEO communications, R&D, pre-production builds, testing, validation, store openings, marketing, and production status with the exception that both vehicle concepts have 3 wheels.  "Go three wheels!"

Amen to that, I was on the Elio Train from the beginning. EMV is a breath of fresh Air!!!

Artic White #440
Compare and Contrast. It is a basic part of analysis and thought. Any two things can be compared and contrasted. "There is no comparison" is simply a false statement. It is possible to find little or nothing in common after the comparison, but the act of comparing and contrasting is always valid and often useful. To come to valid conclusions, it is also necessary to weigh the points of comparison and contrast. Not all points have the same value.

Here are several points of comparison between Elio Motors Inc (EMI) and ElectraMeccanica Vehicles (EMV).

Two of the three letters of their initials / acronym are the same. Analysis: 67% match. Value: almost zero. There may be some confusion because both companies could be referred to as EM. I'll leave the analysis open on the rest of the items.

Reservations: Both companies are accepting / soliciting refundable reservations. EMI is also accepting / soliciting non-refundable reservations. EMV is offering to honor EMI reservations.

Owners: Both companies are owned / promoted by single, middle-aged, eccentric, entrepreneurs who were millionaires at some point before starting their companies.

Backers: Both companies have multi-millionaire backers.

Production targets: Both companies have repeatedly missed production date targets. EMI has been missing more targets for a longer period of time. EMI is continually 12-18 months from production. EMV is continually 2-6 months from production.

Specifications: Both companies have changed specifications after accepting reservations on vehicles with publicly promoted specifications. Both companies have have vehicle weight increases of over 400 pounds.

Performance claims and Testing: Both companies have made very specific performance claims (horsepower, torque, top speed, acceleration, mpg/range, etc), and both companies have refused/declined/been unable to offer any independent confirmation of those claim. Neither company engaged in serious testing prior to soliciting / accepting reservations, necessitating dramatic changes to specifications as noted above.

Compliance: Both companies claim to be working towards government compliance, but neither has been certified.

Government assistance: EMI claims to be progressing towards the ATVM loan. EMV claims to be eligible to qualify for EV credits. Both claims are questionable / unverified.

Sales: Both companies claim that they will be able to have six figure annual sales. EMI is projecting 250k per year, while EMV is projecting over 100k per year.

Market demographic: While the actual demographic of purchasers is unknown, as the vehicles do not currently exist, there seems to be anecdotal evidence that each of these vehicles appeal to many of the same people: commuters, risk takers, motorcyclists, retired males, eccentrics, etc.

While there are more points of comparison, and a number of points of contrast, I remain firmly of the opinion that there is a valid comparison between the two vehicles and the two companies.

Cheers.
I'm done.
[+] 2 users Like flying_solo's post
(03-31-2017, 07:23 AM)Chris Wrote: Still waiting for all the exciting new news coming from the auto show. First deliveries, standard equipment , new designs location of new stores etc. Waited for live Facebook feed (nothing). Started to think on was on the Elio site.
Elio Site?  I don't think so.  I've been following the Elio kick off since 2008 (9 years).

I've been following the Solo kick off since mid 2015 (1 1/2 years).  There is no comparison whatsoever between the 2 vehicle startup business models, CEO communications, R&D, pre-production builds, testing, validation, store openings, marketing, and production status with the exception that both vehicle concepts have 3 wheels.  "Go three wheels!"

And the facts that neither have shipped anything to customers yet, and both have pushed back 'projected' ship date more than once.
(03-31-2017, 03:12 PM)normbarrett Wrote:

Amen to that, I was on the Elio Train from the beginning. EMV is a breath of fresh Air!!!

Artic White #440

Not  really comparing just feeling disappointed. I was hoping to hear some exciting news from the auto show and so far just the reveal of another car 2 years away. I hope they are putting all their efforts to get the Solo on track and deliver as projected.
[+] 1 user Likes Chris's post
I thought there would be a little more hoopla, but disappointed only if the reservationist Solos don't start delivery in May. I'm a realist and don't believe anything til I see it. I do believe the Solo is their #1 priority because of the progress and testing we've seen during the 9 or 10 pre-production builds.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
Still waiting for news and photos of the production Solo. If anyone is attending the show, please post info.
[+] 1 user Likes Acentre's post
From EMV's Facebook Page: One of our customers, Larry, came all the way from Cupertino, California to see his future SOLO at the Vancouver International Auto Show last night!

[Image: 17629766_1316600185101215_91879249808662...e=5963F21C]
[Image: 17498999_1316600201767880_68445020607903...e=594E29E7]
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 2 users Like DiscjockeyDale's post
[Image: 17553832_10154455298167335_2496550025912...e=595385E1]
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 3 users Like DiscjockeyDale's post
(04-01-2017, 11:33 AM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: From EMV's Facebook Page: One of our customers, Larry, came all the way from Cupertino, California to see his future SOLO at the Vancouver International Auto Show last night!

[Image: 17629766_1316600185101215_91879249808662...e=5963F21C]
[Image: 17498999_1316600201767880_68445020607903...e=594E29E7]

Hey wait - is that ME?!!? He's old enough... He's fat enough ...
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
I'm here....
[Image: IMG_7325.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7326.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Jamaf's post