Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from WI
Hi Everyone

DiscjockeyDale had posted a picture of my Eco Exo R reverse trike under similar vehicles.

I have known Rickb in other forums as we both share the same interests in these type of vehicles.

I started out looking at the Mother Earth News tilting trike that I still have the plans for. Next was the Bede BD-200 Auto cycle both around 1983 that I also had plans for.

I put both on the backburner as I was also interested in Homebuilt aircraft and ending up getting a Davis DA-2A that I flew for ten years.

After selling that I got into some other hobbies until I turned 60. I decided to get back into motorcycling and got a 2002 R1150RT Beemer that I kept for a few years. I found it too uncomfortable to ride over 120 miles at a time and decided to go another route.

All that time the reverse trike was on the back of my mind but could not find anything under 20K that had a single seat and was fun to drive.

Like Rickb I also wanted a tilting vehicle like the Carver or Monotracer but both were way out of my price range!

The Slingshot was not made yet and Elio still was not producing so I had to look elsewhere. I just happen to stumble on the Exo Eco R and had most of the features I wanted in a vehicle. I was able to find a frame at a great price including the engine and extra wheel so the deal was done.

It took about a year to finish but has been a great and very reliable vehicle with about 6000 miles on it now. I also built a enclosed trailer to house it or if I want to take it a long ways away. It only weights around 1000 pounds including the 572 Lbs. that the fully loaded trike weighs with full fuel.

I am still very interested in these type of vehicles and I believe the Solo is the best looking vehicle at it's price point as of today.

I found out  that I average around a 120 miles anytime I take my vehicle out for a quick spin.

While my vehicle is not enclosed it has been the most enjoyable vehicle I have ever driven. A street legal go-cart that I normally cruise at 60-65 MPH and get about 56 MPG at those speeds including city driving.

For those that have ordered a Solo I think you have made a great choice. Battery capacity will only go up in the future so extended range battery will be a option in the future that I am sure of.

Edward

[Image: 26624672035_540d4d4d35_c.jpg]20160424_155801 by evanbelkom, on Flickr

[Image: 16771879679_534dac22b1_z.jpg]MVI_3037 by evanbelkom, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/qtTp9T][/url]
[+] 3 users Like edvb's post
Hey Edward, A blast from Three Wheeler Forums Past!  It's good to hear from you.  We definitely had/have the same interest in three wheelers (preferably tilting), but the difference is you did something about it with your sweet Eco Exo R Build and I'm still waiting.  I agree with your assessment of the Solo regarding styling and price point.  EMV is likely the EV Racing/Custom Car Builder partneship and Team to finally get an affordable, enclosed, high performance EV,  fun to drive, three wheeler vehicle to production.  I only hope the driving public wraps their minds around the EV commuter concept and Solo sales sky rocket in Canada, the USA, and worldwide markets to guarantee their success.

Are you considering the idea of starting a three wheeler collection with the addition of a Signature Series Solo?    Really good to hear from you and appreciate the photos.
White Hot Solo #166
Rickb

Thanks for the welcome.

I am pretty happy at this time but would like to drive a Solo to see what it is like. I have plenty of offers if I want to sell mine so money is not a problem. I might be out that way this summer so I may have a chance to try one out and see if it fits me as I get olderSmile
[+] 1 user Likes edvb's post
(02-19-2017, 06:23 PM)edvb Wrote: Rickb

Thanks for the welcome.

I am pretty happy at this time but would like to drive a Solo to see what it is like. I have plenty of offers if I want to sell mine so money is not a problem. I might be out that way this summer so I may have a chance to try one out and see if it fits me as I get olderSmile
A Red Hot Solo would look very cool rolling out of your trailer!  That's my plan too........a test drive to validate that it fits me.........because I am old and even though I have a refundable reservation deposit, I need to try before I buy. Smile

EMV did mention that there is plans for a USA test drive schedule.  Also, that the first USA Solo Store will likely be in the Seattle area because............EMV knows people there. 

Soloowner's  is a welcoming and friendly forum.  Glad you found us.

Note:  The Arcimoto SRK with the 20 kWh pack 130 mile range would cover your 120 mile road trips.  Everybody that test drives the SRK wears an ear to ear grin on their face!
White Hot Solo #166
(02-19-2017, 03:38 PM)edvb Wrote: Hi Everyone
Hi Edward.
Welcome to SoloOwners!
I'm glad you found us. As many here probably would...
I'd buy that vehicle from you without a moments hesitation.

Honestly... that's the best looking machine I've seen in a long time. Outstanding!
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
Dale

Thanks for the kind words. I am pretty happy with it right now. With a 4.7 Gallon tank I can go around 260 miles so I have quite a bit of range. With the trailer I can go to many places to drive different roads and not worry about the weather. It also is nice if I stay overnight in a different area that the trike is protected in its own cocoon.

I think most of the people on this forum are looking for a vehicle that is under 20K complete. That is hard to achieve in a good looking and practical vehicle. I think Jerry K did a great job on making something that is easy to maintain and with the slide out battery trays range can only get better without too much cost if you require more range. I am sure the other batteries can be sold to another Solo owner for spares when that time comes.

Edward
(02-21-2017, 11:02 AM)edvb Wrote: Dale

Thanks for the kind words. I am pretty happy with it right now. With a 4.7 Gallon tank I can go around 260 miles so I have quite a bit of range.  With the trailer I can go to many places to drive different roads and not worry about the weather. It also is nice if I stay overnight in a different area that the trike is protected in its own cocoon.

I think most of the people on this forum are looking for a vehicle that is under 20K complete. That is hard to achieve in a good looking and practical vehicle. I think Jerry K did a great job on making something that is easy to maintain and with the slide out battery trays range can only get better without too much cost if you require more range. I am sure the other batteries can be sold to another Solo owner for spares when that time comes.

Edward
So I'm not quite clear on this. Is that something that you built from scratch?
Is is from a set of plans... Or is it a kit? I'm especially intrigued by the body panels.
We have a few members here with some engineering background.
Is it something we could somehow own a copy of?

I'd love it if you were to go in depth about the vehicle.

P.S. I'm finding images of you and your machine in it's various iterations all over the web.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(02-22-2017, 09:01 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. I am pretty happy with it right now. With a 4.7 Gallon tank I can go around 260 miles so I have quite a bit of range.  With the trailer I can go to many places to drive different roads and not worry about the weather. It also is nice if I stay overnight in a different area that the trike is protected in its own cocoon.

Edward
Is is from a set of plans... Or is it a kit? I'm especially intrigued by the body panels.

P.S. I'm finding images of you and your machine in it's various iterations all over the web.

http://exomotive.com/eco-exo/
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
(02-22-2017, 09:01 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:

Edward

Here is everything I have on my build.

http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/36...ard?page=1

Pictures start on page 4 as my Photobucket account lost some pictures on the transfer to Flickr.

I basically got the first prototype frame from Kevin that included the donor engine and wheels.

I did so many modifications to it that it is a custom one off vehicle now. The last person owning the tooling has decided to not do anything with it so after about 12 frame kits made it is now dead. I started with this and turned it into what it is now. Hope that helpsSmile

This is what I got from Kevin (Exomotive)
[Image: 14268189908_80aca67238_c.jpg]7765026974_c52cd1612c_o by evanbelkom, on Flickr

This is after all the tabs were TIG welded including most of the frame joints.
Black 2K urethane over Epoxy primer
[Image: 11067936913_a20c5230df_c.jpg]IMG_1625 by evanbelkom, on Flickr
The ride is more meaningful when you have personal time and effort involved with the build. Edward, how many hours total to complete the build? Nice workmanship!
White Hot Solo #166