Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery life / cost of operation
Leona replied that in her experience Solo is at 100% after ~2h charging Level 2. She didn't state what the status was at the beginning of the charging. She doesn't know how long it takes to get back to 100%.

I suspect this is typical of most commuters unless they live far outside a city.

She didn't know the answers to my other questions perhaps because she's trying to stay alive in city traffic while driving. I plan on making measurements on an empty highway, perhaps using a camera/recorder...

She's still in love with Solo. Some loves last. Heart
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post
With that said, you shouldn't doubt loves creators.
White Hot Solo #166
Ohhhhh...
So the Solo's not a FUV...
But it's an LUV...
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(09-19-2016, 12:24 AM)flying_solo Wrote: For grins, I looked around a bit more.  The Smart ForTwo's 17.6kWh battery pack appears to cost $5100.  Smart gives that discount for signing on to a monthly lease at $80 per month.  That would only seem to be a bargain for people who drive a lot of miles.  

Of course, there are several factors which affect battery price: maximum safe charge & discharge rates, quality, type of cooling, life expectancy, materials, etc.

I asked EMV how much it would cost to replace the battery  when I ordered my Solo. The reply I got was that it would be about   $2500 to replace it. Not sure if that has changed or not.
(09-14-2017, 09:46 PM)Manfred Sieg Wrote: I asked EMV how much it would cost to replace the battery  when I ordered my Solo. The reply I got was that it would be about   $2500 to replace it. Not sure if that has changed or not.
The battery of Solo is made from standard 18650 cells. Capacity varies by model/maker but is of the order of 10Wh per cell, so 16.1kWh needs ~1600 cells. Checking Amazon for the retail price per cell shows $2500 is a bargain, buy two... Wink OTOH, buying in bulk direct from the makers probably makes that possible. Still, it shows Solo is a fantastic deal for consumers. I was thinking Solo would be a good deal on cost of ownership even if the battery cost twice that much. Changing the engine on my SUV would cost at least twice as much. The maker no longer sells it and worn out engines cost ~$1000... New engines for newer models (<-link) cost ~$15000!!! Mine's "using oil" too... Solo is looking better every day. It's time to scrap the ICEd vehicle.
My blog is an eclectic list of rants and commentary about things for which I care. See MrPogson.com It's been around a decade...
[+] 1 user Likes pogson's post