Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.... and one more thing
The rear drive sprocket on the Solo is only slightly smaller than the rear wheel. How far would the rear wheel have to sink in when driving over soft ground (or snow and slush) before the sprocket, together with the drive belt sinks in?

[Image: 66_773x1030.jpg]
(09-13-2016, 10:38 AM)paravil Wrote: The rear drive sprocket on the Solo is only slightly smaller than the rear wheel. How far would the rear wheel have to sink in when driving over soft ground (or snow and slush) before the sprocket, together with the drive belt sinks in?

[Image: 66_773x1030.jpg]

That was a design flaw (IMHO) of the original Sparrow that EM did not correct.  Not only could it be a problem in snow/slush/soft ground, but also is at risk from damage for rocks or other road debris.  Also, a flat tire would bring the belt and sprocket dangerously close to the road surface, especially if the road is heavily crowned of uneven when you need to pull off.

My guess is that the felt that either the risks were low or the cost to correct were too high.
It apparently was proven to work without risk on the original Corbin Sparrow.
White Hot Solo #166
(09-13-2016, 04:12 PM)Rickb Wrote: It apparently was proven to work without risk on the original Corbin Sparrow.

Not from the reviews and articles that I read, though many years have passed since I read them, and memories tend to fuzz over time.  I don't recall any belt failures, but the super-skinny rear wheel had traction problems on less-than-ideal road conditions, and I seem to remember the sprocket causing loss of traction in snow conditions.

The Sparrow had lots of other issues - motor, controller, batteries, tires, tipping, etc.  Although the concept was terrific, the product was not ready for prime time.  Some of that was Corbin's fault, and some of it was the state of technology available at the time.

It really does look like Electra Meccanica has worked diligently to address the problems, and hopefully the Solo will be everything we had hoped the Sparrow to be, and more.  I see very little information available on the Sparrow II, but from what I have found, EM seems to be doing a much better job with the Solo.  I will admit that the pics of the Sparrow II's dash looked nice.

I have owned Corbin saddles on a couple of motorcycles, and really liked them, but with all the delays, problems and intrigues of the Sparrow/Merlin/Raven disasters, my strong inclination has been to do no further business with the company.  Besides, I really don't like the looks of the Sparrow II, whether or not they solved the Sparrow's problems.

As a kit car fan, my opinion of Inter Meccanica was "good, but expensive".  They seem to be solid, and that gives me a lot of confidence in this project.