Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milestones
We surpassed our first 100 posts sometime last night!
The week couldn't have been any better. Thank you to all.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
09-13-2016
220 Posts. I can't help it. I had to share the numbers!
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
That truly is a milestone. But does it really reflect a mass market interest in this kind of vehicle? Many of the postings are from ex FTR Club members. Just the few people who have been looking for a small EV for urban commutes. Most of the large, international car manufacturers have made prototypes, but they have never gone into production. It can´t just be technical problems, as there´s nothing new or revolutionary to develop. Maybe there just isn´t a large enough market to justify a large scale production run. Just a thought ...
A milestone indeed!  When the word gets out, the membership will grow.  When we see a few Solo's on the road and ElectM gets dealerships and a marketing plan in place we will see market demand explode for this type of commuter vehicle.........the perfect commuter EV to supplement the Family Car/SUV.

I envision packs of Solo's on the road, Solo clubs will form, and the Solo Owners Forum will be their common bond for owner chat and information.

The Solo Twinn will increase demand twofold. :Smile
White Hot Solo #166
Here we have a singular demonstration of optimism versus diehard realistic pessimism ...
I never was part of the FTRC, but I did follow the Carver and its spinoffs for years. And the Sparrow. And the Tri-Magnum. And the Merlin. And the Raven. And the bubble cars, etc

I absolutely believe that there is a market for 5-10k Solo's per year. The real question is whether there will be a market for 50-100k Solo's and Duo's per year.

It's an old discussion, but the same question always returns: At what price and range to EV's become mainstream? At $10k (US) and 200 miles, I think the Solo could sell in mass quantities. Obviously, those of us already here are interested at $15k & 100 miles, but are we the outliers or mainstream?

I suspect that we are the outliers, at least until the vehicles start hitting the roads and the magazines, blogs, etc.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post
ElectM states they have already 80,000 Solo's plus fleet reservations worldwide and will start filling those orders in 2017. They are going well beyond the USA market demographics which may be slow to adopt a three wheeler commuter EV or ICE.

The Solo, SRK, and Elio all have major market potential once people see them on the road and discover how fun and economical they are to purchase and drive. The Solo Twinn may have wider appeal in the US markets. Go thee wheels!
White Hot Solo #166
The Solo twin is a new one on me. Where s the info?
(09-13-2016, 04:40 PM)paravil Wrote: The Solo twin is a new one on me. Where s the info?

I don't remember where I saw it, but it was within the last week as I was browsing around.  I can't find in on the official website, so it must have been in one of the (older?) articles.  As I recall, they just had a line or two about future models under consideration, including a 2-seater and a cargo model.

My guess is that both models are merely in the idea stage, to be worked on once the Solo is being sold.
Myers Motors had a 'duo' project. For a while Myers Motors sold the Sparrow (later re-branded it as NmG - No More Gas), upgraded with lithium batteries in place of the original Lead batteries. Their DUO (Doesn't Use Oil) two-seater never saw the light of day.

EM is rumored to have bought the rights to the Sparrow from Myers Motors when MM went bankrupt, and MM had bought the rights to the Sparrow from Corbin, when *it* went thru bankruptcy.

http://www.myersmotors.com/

Oh, and Corbin (the GUY, Mr. Corbin) is rumored to be trying to boot-strap selling the original Sparrow again : http://corbin.com/motors/