Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear wheel drive
(09-02-2016, 02:19 PM)Rickb Wrote: The Solo will not be my primary vehicle, so on the icy, snowy, cold days it will be the AWD.  Any reverse trike will have an issue in snow.  The good news is only one chain to put on that single rear snow tire. Smile

Me too plan to use it in wintertime on snowy/icy roads. It should have antispinn on the rear wheel. I think it is easy to integrate, just a rotation sensor on front wheels which controls the rotation on rear wheel. It is same dimensions on the wheels, so they should rotate at same speed.
Ground clearance should also be a little better, maybe without the encapsuled rear wheel for easier access. (Would also look nicer Smile )  And like someone else said, smaller rear belt drive sprocket.
Welcome Lotus. Make yourself at home and if there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask!
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
Welcome Lotus! It will be interesting to see how the Solo performs and handles in a variety of road and environmental driving conditions. I don't expect the Solo to be practical during heavy snow and icy road conditions. I hope to be pleasantly surprised because Electra Meccanica is a Canadian based company. Looks like you bike in snowy conditions based on your Avatar.

I still plan on keeping the AWD as my primary vehicle.
White Hot Solo #166
(09-22-2016, 04:56 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Welcome Lotus. Make yourself at home and if there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you Smile  I am looking forward to see feedback from the first owners. There are a lot of details about the Solo that i am curious about.
(09-12-2016, 07:13 PM)SparkE Wrote: Ahhhhhh. "why doesn't the Solo get even better mileage".

Because the 100 miles/16kWh is an estimate? (I haven't seen any govt test agency figures yet.) Because the company prefers the "under promise, over deliver" approach? Because we don't know how much of the battery charge is 'usable' ? Or even "it's pretty damn good as announced"?

81  ml/22kWh   =  3.63 mi/kWh
81  ml/18.8kWh = 4.31 mi/kWh (BMW says that 18.8 kWh are 'usable')
100 mi/16.1kWh =  6.21 mi/kWh

So comparing the '100mi/charge' per 16.1 kWh statement of the SOLO to the i3's 81mi per 'usable' charge gives 45% more mi/kWh. That is pretty darn good. Of course, until the actual, official, tested numbers for production models are announced, it's all conjecture.

I have made a comparison with some other small cars on the market. When you look at the Solo weight it should have longer range, if not they are using an ineffective motor. As previous mentioned, i guess the range given is with active driving. If measured in lab or by NEDC standard, it would be much higher.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes Lotus's post
(09-12-2016, 07:13 PM)SparkE Wrote: Ahhhhhh. "why doesn't the Solo get even better mileage".

Because the 100 miles/16kWh is an estimate? (I haven't seen any govt test agency figures yet.) Because the company prefers the "under promise, over deliver" approach? Because we don't know how much of the battery charge is 'usable' ? Or even "it's pretty damn good as announced"?

81  ml/22kWh   =  3.63 mi/kWh
81  ml/18.8kWh = 4.31 mi/kWh (BMW says that 18.8 kWh are 'usable')
100 mi/16.1kWh =  6.21 mi/kWh

So comparing the '100mi/charge' per 16.1 kWh statement of the SOLO to the i3's 81mi per 'usable' charge gives 45% more mi/kWh. That is pretty darn good. Of course, until the actual, official, tested numbers for production models are announced, it's all conjecture.
"Under promise and over deliver?"  I like your over deliver 'conjecture'.  It's about time a new startup that has promised anything actually delivers and is one step closer to having a product to sell.

ELectraM has at least 3 test vehicles and my conjecture is they are involved in actual Solo testing to verify their targeted Solo's performance goals. The Arcimoto SRK, same scenario Having 2 Gen 8's on the road putting on 1000's of test miles to determine performance and find where engineering changes may be needed.......and making those improvements in their ETC build.  Visible and hands on progress by these two vehicle startups.   

Note:  The Elio is involved in a StartEngine advertising campaign.  A free Elio to the person that gets the most friends and family signed up to StartEngine.  That's hoping to win a non-existent Elio by encouraging your friends and family to gamble.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
(09-27-2016, 11:33 AM)Rickb Wrote: Note:  The Elio is involved in a StartEngine advertising campaign.  A free Elio to the person that gets the most friends and family signed up to StartEngine.  That's hoping to win a non-existent Elio by encouraging your friends and family to gamble.

This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 2 users Like DiscjockeyDale's post
(09-12-2016, 04:25 PM)flying_solo Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 03:52 PM)SparkE Wrote: The actual battery capacity is 16.1 kWh (I asked EM) - the (multiple) articles saying 8.6 kWh are *incorrect*. As to the 'usable battery' capacity, EM hasn't said. Also, EM hasn't stated 'real' range numbers yet (govt official per-charge range, that is) or MPGe stats, so the '100 miles' could be 'city driving', 'freeway range', or some combo of the two.

As to 'why' the range/MPGe appears so much better for the SOLO, I would guess : (1) much lower weight, (2) much lower Cx (drag coefficent), (3) motor pulls less electricity.

Oh, the SOLO will have a standard J1772 plug for charging, so it will be fairly easy to charge at public charge sites when 'out & about' if necessary.

PS: 'EM' means 'Electra Meccanica'.

FWIW, the 8.64kWh figure comes directly from Electra Meccanica's earlier information.  They changed to 16.1kWh fairly recently.  

I had understood the comment as to "why doesn't the Solo get even better than 100 miles on 16kWh when the i3 can get 80 miles out of 19kWh?", since, as you stated, it is much (1/3) lighter, is more aerodynamic with a smaller frontal area, and has significantly less (1/2) horsepower.
Ref. latest info: http://theroadelectric.com/2016/09/going-solo/

Now it is back to 8,64kWh !?  (This is not enough)
Meh...
Not to worry.
It's still 16.1 on the ElecM website.

Other than that I thought the article was pretty good.
I don't think I have seen a single article that correctly stated the SOLO's battery capacity.