Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear wheel drive
HI all

sorry for not framing the question properly

Yes why not more mileage

I3 with atleast 3234lbs and option to carry four adults mileage is is usually better than 4.5 miles/kwh
so lets be conservative and say four adults weight 150 each thats 600 +3234= 3834lbs

18.8 kph dragging 3834 lbs with cd of .3 gives you 4.5 miles/kwh

for solo which 1000lbs + 150 = 1150lbs

16kwh dragging a weight of 1200lbs with cd of .24 shouldn't the number be high

higher than the number calculated above (6.21)
yes it is higher than I3, but look at the weight that is being moved and cd

some people say bmw got those numbers by using thin tires specially designed and use higher inflation than conventional tires, i am not sure

may be things at play are the efficiency of motor, tires and being belt driven, as both vehicles are built with carbon fiber

these are the things i can think,

what do you guys think

pancake motors are definitely more efficient, they are expensive, even tesla is not using them
One other possibility could be the lack of regen. IIRC, the Sparrow did not have regenerative braking, and I don't see any evidence that the Solo has it either. I don't know the exact numbers, but would suspect that regen would add 15-20% more miles, at least in city driving.

You'd think that regen would work better with fwd, but it should still be useful on a rwd tadpole trike.
Yes why not more mileage

Well, the only possible answer at this point in time is "nobody knows, because there just isn't enough info available yet".
[+] 2 users Like SparkE's post
SparkE ... exactly! We need a lot more information on any number of different aspects of the Solo.
I think ElectM knows. The Signature Series Solo's specifications seem to be locked in. The stated purpose of the Solo is a commuter vehicle that will supplement the family car. 100 mile range meets the daily driving needs of some 83% of all commuters which is a lions share of the market for this class of vehicle. The Solo with it's very adequate 100 mile range range is on point keeping the price point somewhat affordable.

What I need to know is how those specifications impact the actual performance of the Solo. Testing over the next couple months along with feedback from everyday test drivers should provide for some valuable feedback. The Solo is what it is a fully enclosed motorcycle with the single option of AC.

It's hard being in the spotlight.

White Hot Solo #166
HI ALL

Bolt ev numbers released roughly 240 miles on 60kwh

I am not saying that solo should have that much of range, i don't want to carry that heavy battery just to have longer range

I think in having these discussions on forums like this for multiple reasons
1. learn from each other
2. if there is enough consensus to influence the manufacturers to adapt new and innovative things so that it s better for every one

I don't think anyone is one is trying influence someone else's decision to buy this or not
[+] 2 users Like ram's post
I agree regarding the forum's purpose of discussion and learning.  I apologize if my tone seems somewhat impatient.  It's only because I have been experiencing discussion and speculation on 'would be' production three wheeler concepts for 10 + years all turning to vaporware except for the slow progress on the SRK and Elio..........and then suddenly "along came the Solo passing them both on it's way to production."  

I would like the opportunity to finally buy and drive 'any' of the enclosed three wheeler concepts that I have interest in and actually drive one for awhile to discover if it meets my FUNctional needs. It may not require changes and or improvements based on it's primary purpose.  I have more interest in high performance,  a luxurious interior, and safety than increased range.  I will always choose to drive the roomy and more comfortable SUV on longer drives or cross country trips.

I go out of my way to not influence friends or family to buy into any of these concepts because of the risk involved of no guaranteed delivery.........particularly all-in non-refundable reservations, which I don't understand.  

ElectraM is already considering new Solo Models that will provide various style, performance, luxury, range and other upgrades/option packages based on the model.  The Cargo Solo may benefit from added range, since it's making deliveries all day long.   I hope they get the very first Solo commuter model to reservationist's on schedule and then expand on the planned success of that vehicle.  

I wonder what the specs and range will be on the planned $100K Super Solo?  

Sorry, I rambled on.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
Only 10 years, Rick? Noob! I've been chasing vehicular (and other) will-o'-the-wisps for over 40 years now. LOL

The Sparrow/Merlin/Raven/NMG/Solo saga alone goes back over 20 years.
Like you, I long ago gave up trying to interest others in my unusual tastes, and just enjoy it when I find others who think those tastes aren't so strange. I don't see much difference between refundable and non-refundable deposits. Over the years, a lot of "refundable" deposits vaporized for a variety of reasons. Most of the time, you have to wake up pretty early to recover a refundable deposit.

My interests fall more towards performance and range, with much less interest in luxury or safety. That, along with being cheap, lead to the discovery that there are a lot of cool, low-mileage, well-maintained (or not), motorcycles out there for not much money. To me, enclosed trikes are all-weather motorcycles, rather that sports car or economy car replacements.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, all of that affects my perception, comments, and interest in the Solo and the other projects floating around.
When I finally gave up on cars about thirty years back, it was at the back of my mind that, one day, I wouldn´t be able to be fully mobile on a bike. Now that I´m over eighty, I know that the coming winter´ll likely tempt me get four wheels with a heater and all the bells and whistles of a car. If only that Australian would pull his finger out and get someone to manufacture what he´s been working on all these years! A small, narrow (and enclosed) tilting four wheeled vehicle is all I need ...

http://www.tiltingvehicle.com

[Image: early_frame.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes paravil's post
(09-15-2016, 01:24 AM)flying_solo Wrote: Only 10 years, Rick?  Noob!  I've been chasing vehicular (and other) will-o'-the-wisps for over 40 years now.  LOL  

The Sparrow/Merlin/Raven/NMG/Solo saga alone goes back over 20 years.
Like you, I long ago gave up trying to interest others in my unusual tastes, and just enjoy it when I find others who think those tastes aren't so strange.  I don't see much difference between refundable and non-refundable deposits.  Over the years, a lot of "refundable" deposits vaporized for a variety of reasons.  Most of the time, you have to wake up pretty early to recover a refundable deposit.

My interests fall more towards performance and range, with much less interest in luxury or safety.  That, along with being cheap, lead to the discovery that there are a lot of cool, low-mileage, well-maintained (or not), motorcycles out there for not much money.  To me, enclosed trikes are all-weather motorcycles, rather that sports car or economy car replacements.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, all of that affects my perception, comments, and interest in the Solo and the other projects floating around.
In reality much longer.  The 10 years has been following a few concepts that were anticipating production starts in a year or two and asking for reservation deposits.  10 years later still talkin about anticipated production starts in a year to two.

I followed all the vehicles you mentioned above but got hooked when I first came across the EcoMobile which turned into the unaffordable MonoTracer & e-Tracers (bankrupt).  The CarverOne (bankrupt) and then the concept based on the Carver platform the VentureOne/Persu V3 (Vaporware).  While following those concepts on the Fly the Road Club Forum I stumbled across the Hello Elio Campaign in 2007-8 and the Arcimoto SRK.  Elio lost credibility by marketing impossible claims and asking for cash from the same people they said can't afford a car to get to work.  

The difference between refundable and non-refundable when a startup makes no promise to deliver a vehicle is...........business model.  Also, one has the chance of a refund the other supports the CEO's of the new startup regardless of effort and outcome. 

I have made refundable deposits on the SRK (refunded 4 years ago, but I recently resubmitted a reservation), the Solo, the Elio (refunded 6-8 months ago because of no ride and drive prototype or completed E vehicles while using old proven technology in a very simple vehicle platform), and the Lit Motor's C-1 my favorite concept (refunded 2 years ago because of no running prototype).  So my experience is that simple refundable reservations that show interest and support the start ups concept are refundable.

The good news is that the Solo and SRK are driveable, both have rave reviews from everyday and media test drivers alike , and they are nearing the production line......with ElectraM actually confirming delivery dates.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post