Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear wheel drive
I´d have expected a three-wheeler with two wheels at the front to have front wheel drive, so I´d be interested to hear from the first test drivers how it reacts. And also to find out if the big rear sprocket is a hindrance on a soft surface.
[+] 1 user Likes paravil's post
Yup, one of the drawbacks to this drivetrain, not good on snow or ice. I do plan on driving year round, so it is a big concern.
The Solo will not be my primary vehicle, so on the icy, snowy, cold days it will be the AWD. Any reverse trike will have an issue in snow. The good news is only one chain to put on that single rear snow tire. Smile
White Hot Solo #166
Global warming has changed northern European winters radically, and younger people no longer know what a real winter looks like. So, if it doesn´t change back quickly, the problem is only hypothetical. The belt drive is ok and eliminates permanently having to re-set the chain tension that I have to do on my competition bikes.
hi

I have a question BMW i3 goes about 80miles on almost 19kw, why is solo is 100 miles on 16kw battery any thoughts
solo is supposedly lighter, better drag,

BMW battery numbers
the actual capacity is 21.6 kWh and useable is 18.8 kWh.

what is actual usable battery on solo

most people reasonable usage on i3 is 4.5miles/kwh
does anyone have idea whats that number for solo
(09-10-2016, 12:40 PM)ram Wrote: hi

I have a question BMW i3 goes about 80miles on almost 19kw, why is solo is 100 miles on 16kw battery any thoughts
solo is supposedly lighter, better drag,

BMW battery numbers
the actual capacity is 21.6 kWh and useable is 18.8 kWh.

what is actual usable battery on solo

most people reasonable usage on i3 is 4.5miles/kwh
does anyone have idea whats that number for solo
BMW i3
MSRP: From $42,400
Range: 80 to 114 mi battery-only
Battery: 22-33 kWh 353-360 V lithium-ion
Horsepower: 170 hp
Curb weight = 2,799 to 3,234 lbs.

Solo:
16.1 kWh lithium ion battery
82 hp
The drive system is tuned for enthusiastic driving.
Solo curb weight = 992 lbs.

That's all I could find.

Even though ElectM's site says 16.1 kWh, more than one online article (like THIS one) says 8.64kWh.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
The actual battery capacity is 16.1 kWh (I asked EM) - the (multiple) articles saying 8.6 kWh are *incorrect*. As to the 'usable battery' capacity, EM hasn't said. Also, EM hasn't stated 'real' range numbers yet (govt official per-charge range, that is) or MPGe stats, so the '100 miles' could be 'city driving', 'freeway range', or some combo of the two.

As to 'why' the range/MPGe appears so much better for the SOLO, I would guess : (1) much lower weight, (2) much lower Cx (drag coefficent), (3) motor pulls less electricity.

Oh, the SOLO will have a standard J1772 plug for charging, so it will be fairly easy to charge at public charge sites when 'out & about' if necessary.

PS: 'EM' means 'Electra Meccanica'.
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
(09-12-2016, 03:52 PM)SparkE Wrote: The actual battery capacity is 16.1 kWh (I asked EM) - the (multiple) articles saying 8.6 kWh are *incorrect*. As to the 'usable battery' capacity, EM hasn't said. Also, EM hasn't stated 'real' range numbers yet (govt official per-charge range, that is) or MPGe stats, so the '100 miles' could be 'city driving', 'freeway range', or some combo of the two.

As to 'why' the range/MPGe appears so much better for the SOLO, I would guess : (1) much lower weight, (2) much lower Cx (drag coefficent), (3) motor pulls less electricity.

Oh, the SOLO will have a standard J1772 plug for charging, so it will be fairly easy to charge at public charge sites when 'out & about' if necessary.

FWIW, the 8.64kWh figure comes directly from Electra Meccanica's earlier information.  They changed to 16.1kWh fairly recently.  

I had understood the comment as to "why doesn't the Solo get even better than 100 miles on 16kWh when the i3 can get 80 miles out of 19kWh?", since, as you stated, it is much (1/3) lighter, is more aerodynamic with a smaller frontal area, and has significantly less (1/2) horsepower.
Ahhhhhh. "why doesn't the Solo get even better mileage".

Because the 100 miles/16kWh is an estimate? (I haven't seen any govt test agency figures yet.) Because the company prefers the "under promise, over deliver" approach? Because we don't know how much of the battery charge is 'usable' ? Or even "it's pretty damn good as announced"?

81 ml/22kWh = 3.63 mi/kWh
81 ml/18.8kWh = 4.31 mi/kWh (BMW says that 18.8 kWh are 'usable')
100 mi/16.1kWh = 6.21 mi/kWh

So comparing the '100mi/charge' per 16.1 kWh statement of the SOLO to the i3's 81mi per 'usable' charge gives 45% more mi/kWh. That is pretty darn good. Of course, until the actual, official, tested numbers for production models are announced, it's all conjecture.
(09-12-2016, 03:52 PM)SparkE Wrote: The actual battery capacity is 16.1 kWh (I asked EM) - the (multiple) articles saying 8.6 kWh are *incorrect*. As to the 'usable battery' capacity, EM hasn't said. Also, EM hasn't stated 'real' range numbers yet (govt official per-charge range, that is) or MPGe stats, so the '100 miles' could be 'city driving', 'freeway range', or some combo of the two.

Welcome SparkE!
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.