Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got to sit in Solo #1
(11-27-2016, 06:28 PM)STEPHENSOLO Wrote: I don't want to step on any toes here (fearing 'banishment'/shunning akin to elioowners.com), however....
Ok, that's it. No soup for you!
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(11-27-2016, 05:22 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Rick,
I agree to disagree on this particular subject.
I still like your attitude and your point of view regardless.
For what it's worth, here's the car I've never had a problem getting in or out of.
Even when I had no intact clavicles, three broken ribs, a broken jaw and a bunged hip socket.

For perspective, the device in the first picture is a 4 7/8" long Garmin GPS.
The height difference of the crest of the hump to the floor is well over 6".
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the top of the seat and your butt is at the same level as the door sill in the Solo and the height from the floorboard to the door sill looks to be about 10"-12" in the photo.  So the driver is forced to lift their leg 12" + or - and dragging their foot over the sill.  Awkward entry/exit.  Perhaps I'm not visualizing it correctly and will make little difference in the big scheme. 

The top of the seat in your photo looks to be well above the door sill level which is typical in vehicles I drive.  Am I seeing the seat height correctly with a 6" + -  height from the floorboard to the top of the sill in your photo?  Easy Peezy entry/exit.
White Hot Solo #166
(11-27-2016, 07:41 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:
(11-27-2016, 06:28 PM)STEPHENSOLO Wrote: I don't want to step on any toes here (fearing 'banishment'/shunning akin to elioowners.com), however....
Ok, that's it. No soup for you!

The soup I can forego - but don't pass me by when the Elio kool-aid is handed out! Wink
2015 Nissan Leaf owner/lover
(11-27-2016, 08:02 PM)Rickb Wrote: Am I seeing the seat height correctly being well above the height of the door sill in your photo with a 6" height from the floorboard to the top of the sill in your photo?  Easy Peezy exit.
Nope. But that's an understandable miss-perception because of the limited view shown in those pictures.
The Mustang seat does slant upward which makes the front of the seat considerably higher than the butt end of the seat.

But the actual butt cheek is only about at the level of the door sill.
The picture doesn't show it, but the shape of the seat curves up and around the sides of the butt cheek.
And once you actually climb into and put weight on the seat, it ends up being just about sill level.
About the same as the picture of the guy in the Solo with the doors off.
It's more than 6" from floor pan to the top of the Mustang sill.

And no, it's not 12" from the sill to the floor in the Solo.
I went back to the Solo frame videos and calculated using Jerry's hands as approximate standards.
I put the sill at not more than 8 1/4" above the floor.

I'd say flying is right. A seat contoured so that it's higher in the knee area probably makes for a far more comfortable ride.
I just don't know if there is enough clearance under the steering wheel to "tilt" the seat that way though.
I'm with you on that one. I hope there's enough room for the possibly more ergonomic style.
But, then again, the present Solo set up may be very comfortable. Test drive right?

But weak or strong, putting the hand at the inside of the knee and lifting would make both entry and exit simple and easy.

.jpg   mustangseat.jpg (Size: 152.58 KB / Downloads: 78)

Easy Peezy.
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 1 user Likes DiscjockeyDale's post
not being an engineer, I prefer to leave the engineering to the professionals (i.e. Electra Meccanica). I am willing to pay them for their professional expertise/experience. I can't/won't second-guess them at this point because I haven't done this for a living myself. I did work directly in the automobile assembly industry for 5 years. I've been through pre-pilot and pilot production phases as well as the ramp-up to full production. That equates nothing to this venture.
  Perhaps, after we are owners of the SOLO Alpha Series vehicles, EM may ask us what we like as well as what we would like to see changed/modified for future EM vehicles.
  In short, let's not get all bunged up over perceived issues BEFORE any of us have has a chance to experience them....leave ALL THAT to the Elio fanatics.

I really don't think you need to worry about that here, Stephen.  We're all enthusiasts, even with out different points of view.  In spite of the unfortunate choice of name of the forum (sorry, Dale), everybody here seems to clearly understand that none of own a Solo, and we have no agenda or fanatical bond to the project.

IMHO, you underestimate your experience (assuming you were paying attention during those 5 years).  Most/all of us here are full grown, experienced, and reasonably intelligent.  Even if we couldn't pull this project off on our own, I believe that we are capable of rational analysis and discussion without getting too emotionally involved.

Being a bit blunt has got me banned on a few forums, when I didn't tow the official line, but I have always tried not to be too personally insulting.  I will call out clueless comments on occasion, and don't mind being called out if my comments are clueless, or wrong for any other reason.

Each of us wants something slightly different, and that makes the discussion interesting.  I want an enclosed motorcycle.  That affects all my thinking and perception.  Others want small size, leaning, uniqueness, and on and on.  For others the Solo could replace a sports car, a commuter car, an SUV, a sedan, a bicycle, or a motorcycle.  It could be a tool or a toy.  To some, EV is the goal and the cause, to others, it's just an option, and some of us are interested in spite of "the cause".

From what I've seen so far, we are all welcome here, whether we agree with "the mods" or not, unlike "that other forum".   Smile
I'm done.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post
Clueless? Who's clueless?
Ok, that's it! No soup for you either!
(11-27-2016, 10:00 PM)Rrflying_solo Wrote:
not being an engineer, I prefer to leave the engineering to the professionals (i.e. Electra Meccanica). I am willing to pay them for their professional expertise/experience. I can't/won't second-guess them at this point because I haven't done this for a living myself. I did work directly in the automobile assembly industry for 5 years. I've been through pre-pilot and pilot production phases as well as the ramp-up to full production. That equates nothing to this venture.
  Perhaps, after we are owners of the SOLO Alpha Series vehicles, EM may ask us what we like as well as what we would like to see changed/modified for future EM vehicles.
  In short, let's not get all bunged up over perceived issues BEFORE any of us have has a chance to experience them....leave ALL THAT to the Elio fanatics.

I really don't think you need to worry about that here, Stephen.  We're all enthusiasts, even with out different points of view.  In spite of the unfortunate choice of name of the forum (sorry, Dale), everybody here seems to clearly understand that none of own a Solo, and we have no agenda or fanatical bond to the project.

IMHO, you underestimate your experience (assuming you were paying attention during those 5 years).  Most/all of us here are full grown, experienced, and reasonably intelligent.  Even if we couldn't pull this project off on our own, I believe that we are capable of rational analysis and discussion without getting too emotionally involved.

Being a bit blunt has got me banned on a few forums, when I didn't tow the official line, but I have always tried not to be too personally insulting.  I will call out clueless comments on occasion, and don't mind being called out if my comments are clueless, or wrong for any other reason.

Each of us wants something slightly different, and that makes the discussion interesting.  I want an enclosed motorcycle.  That affects all my thinking and perception.  Others want small size, leaning, uniqueness, and on and on.  For others the Solo could replace a sports car, a commuter car, an SUV, a sedan, a bicycle, or a motorcycle.  It could be a tool or a toy.  To some, EV is the goal and the cause, to others, it's just an option, and some of us are interested in spite of "the cause".

From what I've seen so far, we are all welcome here, whether we agree with "the mods" or not, unlike "that other forum".   Smile
Yes, Dale hosts a very welcoming and informative Future SoloOwner's Forum.
White Hot Solo #166
I remember Buick (or Olds) addressed this problem with an option called "swivel buckets". The older people loved them, and they made getting in/out infinitely easier. Obviously with more stringent crash test regulation, these were abandoned, but should still be an option on 'motorcycles'. With todays technology for seat adjustment, an automated system could do this all when you sat down in it (turn and descend to position).
[+] 2 users Like Hog's post
This is an old thread, but I'm pretty sure it's the correct one to respond to.  I had a chance to check out the Solo this weekend, but alas, no test drive since they were preparing for Solopalooza.

It's funny, I was thinking that it was a little awkward to get into, but not even close to the kung fu twisting skills needed to fold yourself into a Lotus Elise.  Someone else on this thread reported the same thing.  I am 6 feet tall, and a bit overweight, and the cockpit still seemed quite spacious.  There was a lot of room left to stretch for people with longer legs.  Ingress and egress will require practice, but it isn't at all difficult, even for a geezer like me.

[Image: IMG_20171124_145010.jpg]

I thought the fit and finish was fine for a prototype, but not acceptable for production.  I'll be very interested to see the final product coming from Zongshen.

I was very impressed with the design, however.  The composite material is unlike anything I have seen, and I'm sure that some of these things will still be running 100 years from now.  I also get the impression that the plastic body parts will be easy to remove and replace from the chassis, meaning that if the Solo really takes off, there will be a heck of an opportunity for the aftermarket and for personalization.

Looking forward to a test drive in 2018!
[+] 4 users Like Sniffy's post
(11-25-2016, 07:13 PM)Rickb Wrote: It just dawned on me that Scott Hargrove, Professional Race Car Driver and member of Team Solo reviewed his Solo test drive experience by comparing it to the fun of driving a go-cart.  The last time I drove a go cart the go cart was low to the ground and I sat low in the seat with legs forced to be butt level sitting on the floor outstretched, fun to drive for a few laps only then tiring as heck.  It seems much like the current sitting position in the Solo.  I need bolstering, not prefer bolstering, but require a comfortable ergo seat.  

I've test driven a WRX, a fun and comfortable ride!

Then I see this photo which looks like the Solo test sitter's knees are bent with feet resting on a lower floorboard and appears to be in a rather comfortable sitting position.  So I wonder which it is.
Hay..... That's me sitting in the first Solo. Smile
 I would say that the seat hight is about the same as most car's on the market today.
I'm 5' 10" and sitting in the Solo was quite comfortable at the time. Getting in and out didn't seem to be a problem. 
Mind you, it didn't have any doors on it at that time. (  They were still in the paint  shop at that time )
I haven't had a chance to go to Vancouver since.
[+] 2 users Like Manfred Sieg's post