Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got to sit in Solo #1
Jamaf, thanks for the feedback and the clarification. I found your information both informative and encouraging.

As far as range loss goes, "heat" will be much more of a challenge than "cooling". Batteries are less efficient in cold weather, so the range drops both from the outside temp and from the drain by the heater. OTOH, batteries get more efficient with warmer temps, so the warmer outside temps will offset some/much of the range loss due to the A/C. Looking at Tesla's range comparisons was quite enlightening. Apparently, with a reasonable efficient a/c unit, range loss should be minimal (5-7%) between 50F and 90F, whether running heat or a/c.
I'm done.
Seat Photo:  Looks to be 6" +/- from the floor board, level with the top of the door sill.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

White Hot Solo #166
I have had a few Lotus cars, and the Elise is very difficult to get in and out. When i look at the picture above i see the problem. The door opening should be moved foreward, or the seat and steering wheel back. Then it would be no problem.
Yes, but that wouldn't solve my issue of seat height or seat height adjustment. It sounds like the seat adjusts forward and back to provide for a comfortable distance from the steering wheel and provide easier in/out at least for average height or shorter drivers.
White Hot Solo #166
(11-25-2016, 05:56 PM)Rickb Wrote: Yes, but that wouldn't solve my issue of seat height or seat height adjustment.  It sounds like the seat adjusts forward and back to provide for a comfortable distance from the steering wheel and provide easier in/out at least for average height or shorter drivers.

Most seats and seatframes are possible to shim higher
[+] 1 user Likes Lotus's post
Sometimes I need to open my eyes a bit to see the obvious.
[Image: IMG_20161125_152446.jpg]

I had not paid attention to the seam/weatherstripping barrier before.  The WRX has one, but it is inset further that the seam on the Solo.  Also, the Solo seat is right.on.the.floor.  A third point, which may be as critical as the seat height, is the angle of the seat bottom.  The Solo is almost completely flat, while the WRX has much more of a slope.  My guess is that the Solo would be fun at first, but would be less comfortable, and tend to restrict circulation even on fairly short drives.

I don't see any of these as insurmountable obstacles, but it would appear that some design adjustments may be necessary for the Solo to appeal to the broader (no pun intended) market.  What works for 1,200 units per year, may not be acceptable at 12,000 units per year, or beyond.  Personally, I think I'd be okay with it as is, except for the angle of the seat bottom.  I would prefer more bolstering, but then ingress and egress are further compromised.
I'm done.
[+] 1 user Likes flying_solo's post
It just dawned on me that Scott Hargrove, Professional Race Car Driver and member of Team Solo reviewed his Solo test drive experience by comparing it to the fun of driving a go-cart.  The last time I drove a go cart the go cart was low to the ground and I sat low in the seat with legs forced to be butt level sitting on the floor outstretched, fun to drive for a few laps only then tiring as heck.  It seems much like the current sitting position in the Solo.  I need bolstering, not prefer bolstering, but require a comfortable ergo seat.  

I've test driven a WRX, a fun and comfortable ride!

Then I see this photo which looks like the Solo test sitter's knees are bent with feet resting on a lower floorboard and appears to be in a rather comfortable sitting position.  So I wonder which it is.

White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
(11-25-2016, 07:13 PM)Rickb Wrote: It just dawned on me that Scott Hargrove, Professional Race Car Driver and member of Team Solo reviewed his Solo test drive experience by comparing it to the fun of driving a go-cart.  The last time I drove a go cart the go cart was low to the ground and I sat low in the seat with legs forced to be butt level sitting on the floor outstretched, fun to drive for a few laps only then tiring as heck.  It seems much like the current sitting position in the Solo.  I need bolstering, not prefer bolstering, but require a comfortable ergo seat.  

Then I see this photo which looks like the Solo test sitter's knees are bent with feet resting on a lower floorboard and appears to be in a rather comfortable sitting position.  So I wonder which it is.

Hi Look at the following pictures that will give idea how much depth  is available in the seating area

[img]webkit-fake-url://C604A9E6-EFE5-4370-B33F-A85B1BB5CCCA/15094461_10157738746135612_4358996080213558656_n.jpg[/img]

(11-25-2016, 10:45 PM)ram Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 07:13 PM)Rickb Wrote: It just dawned on me that Scott Hargrove, Professional Race Car Driver and member of Team Solo reviewed his Solo test drive experience by comparing it to the fun of driving a go-cart.  The last time I drove a go cart the go cart was low to the ground and I sat low in the seat with legs forced to be butt level sitting on the floor outstretched, fun to drive for a few laps only then tiring as heck.  It seems much like the current sitting position in the Solo.  I need bolstering, not prefer bolstering, but require a comfortable ergo seat.  

Hi Look at the following pictures that will give idea how much depth  is available in the seating area

[img]webkit-fake-url://C604A9E6-EFE5-4370-B33F-A85B1BB5CCCA/15094461_10157738746135612_4358996080213558656_n.jpg[/img]

[+] 1 user Likes ram's post
Ram, thanks. The above Solo photo looks to have considerably more floor depth than in the post #12 photo. More promising.
White Hot Solo #166
(11-26-2016, 01:50 AM)Rickb Wrote: Ram, thanks.  The above Solo photo looks to have considerably more floor depth than in the post #12 photo.  More promising.

All,

I think we should rest assured that if the seat is too low, then a cushion or "booster" may be necessary.  I too think the test drive or sit in in Vancover will solve our questions.
Solo Alpha Series #64 Silver
[+] 1 user Likes Janet6196's post