Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got to sit in Solo #1
I made a trip to Vancouver and got to spend some time with Solo #1.   My biggest complaint was the ledge at the edge of the door.  (see video) I was told this is an issue they were working on.   For now enjoy. 

https://youtu.be/zPJPrlm2r1w
[+] 1 user Likes Jamaf's post
(11-25-2016, 01:53 AM)Jamaf Wrote: I made a trip to Vancouver and got to spend some time with Solo #1.   My biggest complaint was the ledge at the edge of the door.  (see video) I was told this is an issue they were working on.   For now enjoy. 

Thanks for the video.  What was your complaint with the door sill?  I'm not sure how they would remove it, as that is one of the two battery compartments.
I'm done.
(11-25-2016, 02:01 AM)flying_solo Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 01:53 AM)Jamaf Wrote: I made a trip to Vancouver and got to spend some time with Solo #1.   My biggest complaint was the ledge at the edge of the door.  (see video) I was told this is an issue they were working on.   For now enjoy. 

Thanks for the video.  What was your complaint with the door sill?  I'm not sure how they would remove it, as that is one of the two battery compartments.

Yes the door sill.  It made it very awkward to get in and out.  The EM rep that was there said  "That issue is being addressed"  so it will be interesting to see future models
Yes, it seems to be a very awkward ingress egress having to swing your leg over the wide raised sill and looks like the foot tends to catch and/or drag on the door sill as well.

Jamaf,   Was the Solo's seat height from the floorboard adequate for a comfortable sitting position or legs more outstretched.   It looks to be only a few short inches in height from the carpeted floor board in the photos.

It will be the deal breaker for this old geezer.  Unless it can be resolved.  Disappointing.  The SRK's seat is at butt height with a step over the center console and a more comfortable looking upright sitting position.
White Hot Solo #166
(11-25-2016, 02:16 AM)Jamaf Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 02:01 AM)flying_solo Wrote:

Yes the door sill.  It made it very awkward to get in and out.  The EM rep that was there said  "That issue is being addressed"  so it will be interesting to see future models

I'm not sure that we are communicating.  Specifically "What was your complaint as regards to the door sill?"  From the video, it looked like it was mostly a technique issue, but I wasn't there.  There did seem to be a vertical ridge in the middle of the sill that may have contributed to your difficulty in clearing the right foot.

From years of riding motorcycles, there are techniques that make mounting and dismounting easier (or more difficult).  From what I saw, it would seem to be much better to enter the Solo by sitting down first, then bringing both feet in together.  Perhaps it would be easier for some people if the seat was slid rearward before getting in or out.

Other than the vertical seam sticking up, I'm not sure what design changes they could make to facilitate easier ingress and egress.  Raising the seat height would negatively affect both headroom and cornering stability.

Unfortunately, if someone feels awkward or uncomfortable with certain aspects of a vehicle, it makes them less likely to purchase and recommend it to their friends.

Regardless, thanks for the report and the video.
I'm done.
As a driver, the lower the driving position the better. But in urban traffic, especially since the advent of the SUV, a higher driving position enables a much better overview and traffic appreciation, which is a lot safer. That is why I prefer the SRK (and why I like my enduro bike). I am certain that drivers of larger vehicles (SUVs and trucks) will tend to overlook the Solo, which could well lead to accidents.
Thanks Jamaf

appreciate your input

any other info how things are going in terms of progress

Jamaf,
   Thank you so much for taking the time to post your excellent video for our viewing pleasure! It is much appreciated on this end, as it answered so many of my questions about the interior of the SOLO.
2015 Nissan Leaf owner/lover
I will try and address a few of the questions here.   When I first got into the Solo I did so as I would in any car.  Then, as seen in the video, I kind of awkwardly had to drag my leg into the vehicle.  Without promoting the EM rep advised me that the sill issue was going to be addressed in the future models.  That was the end of the discussion. In the video I used the word "Remove" when talking about the sill.  I guess I should have just stuck with "Address" but I have NO idea how they plan to fix this.    Was this a deal breaker?  No, but if it can be refined so that there is more clearance to swing your leg in and out that would be better.  If they didn't change it at all as Flying Solo said I would just modify how I got in and out.  No big deal..  I could see this being a problem for someone who had knee/mobility issues.    As for the leg room.  I am 6' tall.  I had no issues.  The seat was comfy.  I put the seat all the way back and was able to stretch out my legs.  This might be an issue for someone who is taller than me but a comfy driving position for me had the seat forward of all the way back.  
The car is low to the ground so getting out was very reminiscent of an old Corvette that I once owned.  It's not like stepping out of an SUV that's for sure.  
  The front lights were not covered (again not the production model) and I questioned the reps about LED.  I was told that they are still working out the lights and there may be an LED strip running along the base of the light housing as running lights as you see on newer cars and a plastic light cover.
   They are currently building a new car that will be the "test drive" unit.  They are hoping to have that done in a few weeks as well as the compliance testing.    
There are more "add ons" that we talked about ie: sport mode heated seats etc that are in the works and that once they start production the pre orders will be contacted to confirm the add ons they may want.

I discussed the battery life while running the heater.  I was told that they are expecting that to only diminish the life by 10%.  I then asked about the AC affecting the battery but they could not answer that but guessed it would be similar to the heater at 10%.

I pre ordered my EM Solo in the beginning of September and I discussed delivery date.  I was told that I could expect sometime in May.  If it comes sooner great but realistically I would be surprised if I see one in May.  

That was pretty much it.  I got in and out a few times. I spoke with the very friendly team they had at the Bentall center and got myself a Meccannica T shirt.   

Now we wait for the test drive. .....
Jamaf, Thanks for the detailed explanation of your Solo test sit.  Doesn't sound like an ideal platform form for old geezers, but a personal test sit will validate any personal issues.  

My question regarding the Solo seat's height in relation to the floorboard was to determine that knees bend to 90 degrees compared to sitting in a chair..........or typical automotive seat.  I have a friend that own's a classic Vette.  The Vette's seat is so low that the cushion seems to be attached directly to the floorboard of the vehicle requiring the driver to sit with legs outstretched.  It compares to sitting directly on the floor.

Now we wait to move from a test sit to a test drive.   Thanks again for your insight.
White Hot Solo #166