Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to buy a Solo?
(11-19-2016, 11:00 PM)SparkE Wrote: "I don't want one made in China - I have purchased many things made in China and they NEVER measure up to what was once made in the States (or Canada) both in quality of materials used and in longevity. "

Yeah, those Apple iPods are just piles of shit ...

There are 3 iPods in our family. I wake to one, shower to one, and mow the lawn listening to one. And I still miss my Microsoft Zune! They are a PITA to add music to - hate APPLE ITUNES!
2015 Nissan Leaf owner/lover
paravil...
I'd found it after your previous post.

A few observations...
If I"m not mistaken, the $150K to $175K INCLUDES the (requisite?) 10 Solos. See below...
To be precise, that document DOES NOT clearly say that either an initial or standing inventory of 10 Solos is required for a dealership.
The ONLY thing it does say is that refundable deposits on 10 Solos is required as an "expression of interest" to start the process.

If someone else were to also speculate on the intended true meaning of that document...
They could just as easily assume that "One chassis and SOLO inside to showcase" could be the only standing inventory required.

That would mean that a new dealer could actually recover the most of the initial investment...
as soon as nine out of the ten of the "initial prerequisite" or "expression of interest" vehicles were sold.

Which would mean that the dealer could end up with a dealership with very little invested...
Except for "Working capital, initial promotion expense and legal costs..."
While still maintaining their required "Demo Only Vehicle Inventory".

While that's unlikely, $150K to $175K is peanuts when you consider the inventory and cost required to open dealerships of almost all other brands.
Especially if the bulk of that investment is for, and includes, the starting inventory.

If I were a vehicle mfg that was going to have dealerships, I certainly would want to know that my dealership owner was qualified and reputable.
The required inventory, or "storefront" required by most (auto and non-auto) franchisers is to protect themselves and their dealers...
From people that would attempt to run sales operations out of their basements or back-yard parking garages.
Upon further speculation, it usually can be interpreted as "Put your money where your mouth is".

That said, I don't think an overwhelming amount of people are going to be interested in investing in  a "EMV Only" dealership.
The reason being is that I don't think a dealer could easily survive offering the Solo for sale as their only product. Not in the beginning.
I'm going to assume that EMV is targeting established dealerships that would also like to take on the Solo as part of their inventory.
But here again, that's also speculation.

No matter what EMV's intentions (see the "Model Store" specifications)...
Multi-brand dealerships may be the only thing they'll get in a workable reality.
At least in the beginning and possibly for quite a while.

And I have a question... Why the constant animosity towards a company that you've actually got a refundable deposit with?

From the document...

"Start-up Cost

The total initial investment is inclusive of:

-Dealership Fee
-Store design
-Training Program
-Start-up Inventory
-Signage
-Equipment, furniture and fixtures
-Leasehold improvements

The initial investment range is estimated to be $150,000 to $175,000
depending on the store size and condition, dictating the amount or
renovations and leasehold improvements required. Working capital, initial
promotion expense and legal costs are not included."

Also, there's this...

"Minimal Inventory Requirement.
Demo Only Vehicle Inventory"

Model Store

The store has an open concept
with big display windows if available.
One chassis and SOLO inside to showcase
functions and finishes

A SOLO chassis and drive train
in the showroom displays the technology of the car.
Additional information and graphics are provided on a stand next each"

"In advance of our meeting, we request your expression of
interest in the form of a fully refundable deposit of $2500 Cnd.
This is placed online in the form of ten (10) Solo Vehicle deposits of $250."
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
"And I have a question... Why the constant animosity towards a company that you've actually got a refundable deposit with?

No such thing! Whenever I`m confronted with gushing superhype, I always tend to react in the same way. If everyone were little more sceptical, maybe I wouldn´t. Suppose it might be a Northern European thing, what we call "dour" where I come from (Orkney). As I mentioned previously, I´ve got money down for both SRK AND the Solo .... but like neither of them. They´re both the only alternatives to riding a motorbike in winter (snow, ice and slush over here). They´re a stopgap until Australian Phil pulls his finger out and gets someone to build his narrow, tilting four-wheeler.

PS

I´m quite certain that the dealership implies 10 down payments AND the initial payment!
[+] 1 user Likes paravil's post
Phil's finger is stuck and may need to be chisled out. Smile Even if it is chiseled out without breaking off his or any narrow 4 wheeler vehicle will never pass auto manufacturing and safety standards in the USA.  Apparently it would meet EU certification requirements for whatever the vehicle class happens to be there.

I'm so skeptical in fact, that Phil's concept, the C-1, and the $100 Million NoElio proof of concept are all dead to me.  The Solo and SRK are both viable options showing major tangible progress over the past year.  Although I don't believe it til I see it.  A 2017 Production delay announcement of both the Solo or SRK would be my breaking point. 

Sometime in 2017 this will be a Solo Owners Forum and Charter Solo Club's will be springing up across the country as we chat about our solo driving experiences.
White Hot Solo #166
(11-20-2016, 12:57 PM)paravil Wrote: I´ quite certain that the dealership implies 10 down payments AND the initial payment!
Again, from the document...

"Start-up Cost

The total initial investment is inclusive of:

-Dealership Fee
-Store design
-Training Program
-Start-up Inventory
-Signage
-Equipment, furniture and fixtures
-Leasehold improvements"

So the worst case scenario then, according to what you believe is that...
The dealership would cost $2500 CAD + $150K to $175K CAD. Still sounds great to me.
Especially since that would come to $131,413.36 USD maximum at the current exchange rate.
They state that the start-up cost includes the start-up inventory. To my mind including the deposit.

That's kind of like assuming that our Solos are going to cost us $19,888 CAD plus a $250 CAD deposit.

But you may be right about the extra $2500 CAD. The fine print will tell the tale.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
Dale's speculation may be right on target.  I suspect the established Motorsports businesses like the one down the street from me that currently sells the Slingshot and the CanAm Spyder may add the Solo to their inventory.
White Hot Solo #166
My question is I like the 7000 base for Elio, so what is my final cost if i decide on Solo?
MSRP $15,500. You should go to the official web site and look around (this is a 'fan' site). If you can't find all the info you want, email them (they are pretty good at answering).

https://electrameccanica.com/
(01-20-2017, 08:44 PM)Aahz Wrote: My question is I like the 7000 base for Elio, so what is my final cost if i decide on Solo?
Welcome Aahz!  Be sure to check out our forum's Transfer Reservation Thread   If you currently hold an Elio reservation you can use it towards a Solo reservation deposit and get a credit up to $1K.  

Your final cost is $15,500 less your deposit level on the other vehicle with no additional out of pocket since the $250 Reservation Deposit is waived as well.

Very helpful members right here on the forum so feel free to ask questions and share your thoughts.
White Hot Solo #166