Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to buy a Solo?
(11-19-2016, 12:19 PM)STEPHENSOLO Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 06:59 AM)paravil Wrote: It is my strong befief that production vehicles will have several very necessary changes made

Paravil,
   Your "...strong belief..." being based on what? Any information on what "...very necessary changes..." you anticipate?
I, personally, like the Solo Alpha Series exactly as they are. I prat they don't try to go the way of Elio - and drive me away forever.

I´ve stated my reservations previously: ground clearance, large final drive sprocket, low rear apron etc. Although I don´t see them changing to front wheel drive. It would astonish me if the first hand built examples did NOT lead to improvements, as that is what they are intended for.
[+] 1 user Likes paravil's post
I say, prepare to be astonished!  I don't believe the hand assembled Solos to be engineering prototypes. The only improvements if any will likely be tweaks not major engineering and design improvements that were made through the process leading up to the reveal.  

The hand built (Sparrow) engineering prototypes lead to the production model Solo.  We obviously see the progress made over the past couple years in development quite differently.  I could be mistaken.  

The stated 7" ground clearance is apparently adjustable (?), the large drive sprocket was proven on Corbin's 300 production Sparrows, the low rear apron appears low but may be no lower than the sprocket it shields. We should know for certain in early 2017...........and if not I will request my reservation refund.
White Hot Solo #166
(11-19-2016, 01:10 PM)paravil Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 12:19 PM)STEPHENSOLO Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 06:59 AM)paravil Wrote: It is my strong befief that production vehicles will have several very necessary changes made

Paravil,
   Your "...strong belief..." being based on what? Any information on what "...very necessary changes..." you anticipate?
I, personally, like the Solo Alpha Series exactly as they are. I prat they don't try to go the way of Elio - and drive me away forever.

I´ve stated my reservations previously: ground clearance, large final drive sprocket, low rear apron etc. Although I don´t see them changing to front wheel drive. It would astonish me if the first hand built examples did NOT lead to improvements, as that is what they are intended for.

I tend to agree here.  

Ground clearance is an issue.  I want it lower, paravil wants it higher.  The roads in and around Berlin must be in rough shape.  I'm not aware of any paved roads within a 50-mile radius of my home that would be a challenge for the Solo with a 5" ground clearance.  My only concern would be speed bumps.  At 7", even with the lower CG of electrics, I believe that the handling would be severely compromised.

The low side aprons are only of minor concern to me.  I don't live/drive where there are lots of potholes or large rocks in the road.  The large rear sprocket bothers me more, but those rear skirts would likely protect it.  From my RC days, electrics tend to be quicker and faster with taller gearing.  The Sparrow may have needed the shorter gearing of the huge rear sprocket because of the weak motor, but that should not be an issue with the Solo.

Front-wheel drive would seem to be a better choice than the Sparrow/Solo's single rwd setup.  The Sam snow video was funny to watch, but would be terrible if you were actually trying to get somewhere.  Personally, I'd rather see an awd Solo with two 40hp motors than the rwd single 80hp motor.  Obviously, there would be some additional cost.  Two small motors probably cost more than one big motor, and a dual-motor controller would likely be more expensive than a single-motor controller.  However, it would be possible to be much more aggressive with awd regeneration, and range should go up significantly.

As per Rick's counsel, I am prepared to be astonished.  I've dealt with professionals most of my life, most of whom deserved the title.  It convinced me that even professionals rarely get things perfect in the first year of production.  While I have great hopes that the first-year Solo will be a fine vehicle, the subsequent models should continue to improve.
I'm done.
The Solo isn't perfect.  I agree it will be a fine vehicle that will test the three wheeler commuter market.   I will be astonished if I have the opportunity to complete the official order form to accept delivery of Arctic White #166 following my personal Solo compliance testing during a Solo test drive experience.  

I agree that subsequent model years will improve greatly providing market acceptance.   The Solo's design, engineering, and options will evolve along with advanced technology providing for increased range and lower cost.   There is already discussion of the Super Solo, Solo Twinn, and Solo Cargo.   Perhaps a Solo AWD (front wheel hub motors), or Solo Crew Cab Pickup (crew of 2).  

Maybe even a Solo ICE to compete with the Elio a few more years down the road.

However, without market acceptance, we could be early adopter owners of a 1000 Collectible Signature Series and had some fun in the process.
White Hot Solo #166
(11-19-2016, 04:37 PM)Rickb Wrote: The Solo isn't perfect.  I agree it will be a fine vehicle that will test the three wheeler commuter market.   I will be astonished if I have the opportunity to complete the official order form to accept delivery of Arctic White #166 following my personal Solo compliance testing during a Solo test drive experience.  

I agree that subsequent model years will improve greatly providing market acceptance.   The Solo's design, engineering, and options will evolve along with advanced technology providing for increased range and lower cost.   There is already discussion of the Super Solo, Solo Twinn, and Solo Cargo.   Perhaps a Solo AWD (front wheel hub motors), or Solo Crew Cab Pickup (crew of 2).  

However, without market acceptance, we could be early adopter owners of a 1000 Collectible Signature Series and had some fun in the process.

"I agree that subsequent model years will improve greatly providing market acceptance."  
   Rick,
    It is a given that later Solo's will improve - or EM will die on the vine. I only hope they don't 'cheapen' subsequent Solo's to improve profitability. I don't want one made in China - I have purchased many things made in China and they NEVER measure up to what was once made in the States (or Canada) both in quality of materials used and in longevity. 
   I fully expect MY Solo to be essentially the same as Jerry's - same materials used in it's production - and hand assembled by the same team...THAT is what I'm willing to pay for. 
2015 Nissan Leaf owner/lover
[+] 1 user Likes STEPHENSOLO's post
(11-19-2016, 08:09 PM)STEPHENSOLO Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 04:37 PM)Rickb Wrote: The Solo isn't perfect.  I agree it will be a fine vehicle that will test the three wheeler commuter market.   I will be astonished if I have the opportunity to complete the official order form to accept delivery of Arctic White #166 following my personal Solo compliance testing during a Solo test drive experience.  

"I agree that subsequent model years will improve greatly providing market acceptance."  
   Rick,
    It is a given that later Solo's will improve - or EM will die on the vine. I only hope they don't 'cheapen' subsequent Solo's to improve profitability. I don't want one made in China - I have purchased many things made in China and they NEVER measure up to what was once made in the States (or Canada) both in quality of materials used and in longevity. 
   I fully expect MY Solo to be essentially the same as Jerry's - same materials used in it's production - and hand assembled by the same team...THAT is what I'm willing to pay for. 

agreed STEPHENSOLO, 

they should should also not charge an arm and a leg for future updates and improvements to early adapters
[+] 1 user Likes ram's post
"I don't want one made in China - I have purchased many things made in China and they NEVER measure up to what was once made in the States (or Canada) both in quality of materials used and in longevity. "

Yeah, those Apple iPods are just piles of shit ...
I expect wherever the Solo's are manufactured, they will be manufactured to ElectraM specifications.  Mass production can be as fit and finished as hand built.  I recall Kroll mentioning they will have manufacturing facilities worldwide to meet market demand........as does Tesla Motors.  

I like the idea of made in America, but prefer a handbuilt Inter Meccanica Custom Coach Builder's Signature Series signed and delivered Canadian Import #166 Collector Edition Solo.
White Hot Solo #166
Rick, just a reminder that at least one test driver was not exactly overawed by the build quallity. And sound proofing has also been mentioned.
Just in case it hasn´t come to your attention (and as the question was put to me previously) .... here are the conditions for becoming a Solo dealer:-

- http://electrameccanica.com/wp-content/u...SOLO-1.pdf
- pre-order for ten Solos,
- 150.000$ to 175.000$ for the full showroom kit.

Personally, I find this to be a bit risky for a new, unproven product.