Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to buy a Solo?
(This seemed like the best forum for this thread.)

So has EM announced how they want to be handling sales a year from now? If I understand it correctly, today the only option is to buy from EM directly (via a 'pre-order' link on their web site) and they will ship it to you - although it is unclear to me if shipping is extra or not, and if not how much shipping costs.

I have heard 'talk' of a 'dealer network' and 'partners', but no hard facts. 

Does anybody have any details on the sales strategy/direction? (Or am I jumping the gun a bit, since there isn't any product TO sell at the moment?)
I had a `phone call here in Berlin, but there wasn´t time enough to meet up as talks were proceeding with potential dealers. Since then, I haven´t heard anything further. Some information filtered through about a Swiss dealer, but I couldn´t find him. And some mention was made on the `phone of `a pre-requisite number of pre-orders´ for new dealers. I would definitely expect to take delivery through a local dealer.
Paravil - it just clicked in my head that you live in Berlin. I visited for the first time about 16 months ago and absolutely loved the city and plan on going back - I was only there for 5 days. One of the highlights of the trip : discovering rotkohl (eaten with a pile of sausages and a 1/2 litre of local brew). Yeah, I guess I'm easy to please, but DAMN it was tasty. The Reichstag dome blew me away as well (a local managed to get reservations for sunset - at the top of the ramp as the sun went down - OMG!) Didn't get a chance to hit any of the museums, maybe next time.
I was hoping for a direct to consumer sales model, but they are searching for worldwide dealer interest. Dealerships work for me as well with hope that it's a full service dealer or there is no real value. Sounds like a good markup/profit margin on this vehicle. Direct to consumer may have benefited the consumer in terms of a lower price point, but whatever works for ElectraM's business model works for me.
White Hot Solo #166
SparkE .... next time! (hope you´re interested in Lugers/motorbikes/WWII history ... and a lot more)
(11-15-2016, 06:05 PM)Rickb Wrote: I was hoping for a direct to consumer sales model, but they are searching for worldwide dealer interest.  Dealerships work for me as well with hope that it's a full service dealer or there is no real value.  Sounds like a good markup/profit margin on this vehicle.  Direct to consumer may have benefited the consumer in terms of a lower price point, but whatever works for ElectraM's business model works for me.

I don't consider US$ 15K to be a 'lower price point'. I can understand how the first 'few' (hundred?) would be expensive since they aren't produced on an assembly line, but once a line is set up and they can produce 20+ vehicles/day the price to produce should be significantly lower.
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
Affordibility is certainly individual based, perhaps a good value for an EV is a better term.  Perhaps value is individual based as well.  Certainly a more affordable motorcycle and a better value for me over the Harley Davidson Trike @ $29-32,000 I was looking at during my midlife crisis.  Also, more affordable than the CanAm Spyder or Slingshot.

If ElectraM tools for mass production it will take millions for manufacturing infrastructure, labor force, and inventory requiring venture capital.  Mass production may initially add to ElectraM's cost per unit expense side of the ledger over the current hand build assembly.

ElioM is the prime example of needing $300 million to start production.  However, they are having some difficulty hand building a proof of concept needed for testing, test drives, and securing funding options.

The risk for all of these startup's is market acceptance.......ElectaM's and Arimoto's business model of start small and scale is less risky than EM's.  Perhaps mass production will lower the future price point along with reduced battery cost.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 1 user Likes Rickb's post
According to information released in the past...
Part of the $10M in investments that they are seeking...
Will go for a larger mfg. facility, presumably the one to do 100/mo.
They infer that they already have $6.3M left from their initial expenditures.

And, again, according to information released in the past...
They already have the largest Chinese MC mfg. lined up to be a partner.
That mgf. already has the toys and infrastructure needed to MASS produce Solos.
The CEO of that future partner was present and accounted for at the reveal.
Ironic that you should happen to mention HD.  Big Grin

That's how they plan to make the (big) jump from 100/mo....
To whatever the market may demand without any further venture capital.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
[+] 3 users Like DiscjockeyDale's post
I love it when a plan comes together. Smile It may have to do with having an actual plan, reaching the various milestones, and spending the majority of funding dollars on R&D resulting in an actual production model vehicle to manufacture ......and accomplished with no high salaried Board of Directors.
White Hot Solo #166
[+] 2 users Like Rickb's post
(11-16-2016, 08:48 PM)Rickb Wrote: I love it when a plan comes together. Smile  It may have to do with having an actual plan, reaching the various milestones, and spending the majority of funding dollars on R&D resulting in an actual production model vehicle to manufacture ......and accomplished with no high salaried Board of Directors.
My understanding is that Jerry was already a multi-millionaire when he started this particular project a few years ago.
And that he put quite a few bucks of his own into it.

If you research the guy, you'll find that he's got quite a few different irons in the fire.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.