Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Dutiable Entry
This came from the US Customs and Border Protection's "Importing a Motor Vehicle" page.
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-e...orting-car
It's a good read.

Thanks go to Rick for the original find.

Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(10-26-2016, 02:47 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: This came from the US Customs and Border Protection's "Importing a Motor Vehicle" page.
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-e...orting-car
It's a good read.

Thanks go to Rick for the original find.
Dale,

Wondering if US Customs considers the Solo a motorcycle or a autocar or auto?  So is the duty free??
Solo Alpha Series #64 Silver
The three wheeler Solo is classified as a motorcycle in the USA.  Seems likely it is duty free from Canada.  If it was classed a car it would have to undergo and meet US auto safety standards before allowed into the country. 

Same as the Elio three wheeler motorcycle.  Many States have already passed legislation to register and license it as a motorcycle with the autocycle subclassification to avoid needing a motocycle driver's license endorsement or helmet requirements.  

The SRK's handlebar steering does not meet the autocycle Steering wheel requirement definition.
White Hot Solo #166
I agree with Rick on this Janet.
I'd say it's likely that the Solo will be duty free, but I can't guarantee it.
You know how those bureaucrats love their gray areas.
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(10-26-2016, 07:10 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: I agree with Rick on this Janet.
I'd say it's likely that the Solo will be duty free, but I can't guarantee it.
You know how those bureaucrats love their gray areas.

It would be great if Electra Meccanica could just include shipping in our checkout price.  If they are intending on selling from dealerships in the U.S. then my way of thinking would make more sense.  Ship to a central depot and distribute like other manufacturers.   Big Grin
Solo Alpha Series #64 Silver
Janet6196, Keep in mind the InterMeccanica partner ships their custom car builds worldwide. I'm pretty certain that ElectraMeccanica will white glove ship a Signature Series Solo to your front door for less than the typical add on factory shipping fees (built into the cost of all vehicles). I believe it is in the $750-1000 range.

ElectraM will likely arrange the shipping for early deliveries and bill us accordingly to the desired address. The dealerships will likely not be in place until after the 1000 Signature Series Solos are assembled and delivered to reservationists.
White Hot Solo #166
Question of Value Added Tax is still unanswered ....
If VAT (or Sales Tax) is imposed on each local Canadian sale (and is therefore included as part of the quoted price), would a foreign customer pay a price, less local VAT and be charged local VAT or Sales tax in his home country after import? Or would he have to pay VAT or Sales Tax twice: in Canada AND in his home country? Can EM claim back VAT/Sales Tax on exports?
(10-27-2016, 04:31 AM)paravil Wrote: Question of Value Added Tax is still unanswered ....
If VAT (or Sales Tax) is imposed on each local Canadian sale (and is therefore included as part of the quoted price), would a foreign customer pay a price, less local VAT and be charged local VAT or Sales tax in his home country after import? Or would he have to pay VAT or Sales Tax twice: in Canada AND in his home country? Can EM claim back VAT/Sales Tax on exports?
Good Question. IMO that's going to take more research into both Canadian and other countries' laws on taxation.
I simply don't have the time to do that right now but I'll try to find some kind of answer or probability when I do get time.
It may be a while. If anyone else has a good idea of where to look for the answer to this one, I'm sure we'd appreciate the help.
Normally, when a product is sold for export (or exported for sale) the VAT is not charged - but you DO owe the VAT/'sales and use tax' in your country/province/state where it is shipped.

That's the logical answer, I can't swear that it is still done this way (it's been over 25 years since my last experience with this, and it was a vehicle being shipped from France to Switzerland, so YMMV).
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
(10-27-2016, 06:59 AM)SparkE Wrote: Normally, when a product is sold for export (or exported for sale) the VAT is not charged - but you DO owe the VAT/'sales and use tax' in your country/province/state where it is shipped.

That's the logical answer, I can't swear that it is still done this way (it's been over 25 years since my last experience with this, and it was a vehicle being shipped from France to Switzerland, so YMMV).

Correct. You don't pay VAT to the country of origin when exported. You pay to the country where it is imported (final destination). Not the movie Wink 

In some countries you may have to pay VAT and get a stamp at the export document at the border, which you then can reclaim afterwards. But normally not on a car because the seller fix this. (But not if you buy from a private person).
[+] 1 user Likes Lotus's post