Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charging
(10-18-2016, 12:17 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote: Here's the information on charging cord systems.
The Solo does not come with any charging cord system.

So if you want to charge at home, you'll have to either...
Buy a portable charging cord system like the TurboCord...
And make sure you have the proper outlet(s) available...
Or install a fixed charging station.

I was also told that the $500 TurboCord can use both 240v and 120v.

Since most of us have a few months to decide what we'll do for charging...
This would be a good time to research different options available in the marketplace...
And to also continue our discussion and sharing of that information.
Strange..  I read somewhere it comes as standard with type 1 plug and cord either 110V or 220V
1) The TurboCord dual accepts both 110V/220V - other models do not
         ( https://www.amazon.com/AeroVironment-Tur...00J8O1XQE/ )

2) what is a 'standard type 1' plug? NEMA 5-15? NEMA 6-20?

[Image: NEMA-5-15p-inlet.jpg]   [Image: NEMA-5-15p-to-C13-1.jpg]

[Image: 41wATclFieL._SY355_.jpg]
(10-18-2016, 06:08 PM)SparkE Wrote: 1) The TurboCord dual accepts both 110V/220V - other models do not

The questions asked were...

What charging cord comes standard with the Solo at no extra charge?

Also, The TurboCord Level 2 upgrade offered for $500 from Electra Meccanica...
 Is that the base TurboCord (240v only) or is it the TurboCord Dual (240v/120v)?

The response was...

"There is no free home charger with Solo. Not everyone needs that. The Turbocord is dual voltage so it can plug in anywhere."

*******************************************************************************************************

Normally, a type 1 portable charging cord system will have a NEMA 5-15 plug end.
A type 2 portable charging cord systems will normally have the 6-20.

The second video in the previous post shows the details of the TurboCord and TurboCord Dual charger cord systems.

IMO, the best way to be sure that you're getting the TurboCord Dual as the $500 upgrade is to ask before your Solo and upgrade ship.

http://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-e...r-c20.aspx
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
(10-18-2016, 08:13 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 06:08 PM)SparkE Wrote: 1) The TurboCord dual accepts both 110V/220V - other models do not

The response was...

"There is no free home charger with Solo. Not everyone needs that. The Turbocord is dual voltage so it can plug in anywhere."

*******************************************************************************************************

Normally, a type 1 portable charging cord system will have a NEMA 5-15 plug end.

The second video in the previous post shows the details of the TurboCord and TurboCord Dual charger cord systems.

IMO, the best way to be sure that you're getting the TurboCord Dual as the $500 upgrade is to ask before your Solo and upgrade ship.

Conclusion (as i see it):
  • The Solo comes with a standard cord/cable and type 1 (J1772) plug for the vehicle, and household plug (110 or 220 V) in other end.
  • No home stationary charger.
  • Optional TurboCord level 2 (charger) 110/220 V.
Did anybody get confirmation from EM, or is this all conjecture?

How about adding 'what H/W is delivered with the SOLO for recharging?' to 'Q&A 3'?
(10-19-2016, 04:50 AM)SparkE Wrote: J1772 is for both type 1 and type 2 charging.

Did anybody get confirmation from EM, or is this all conjecture?

How about adding 'what H/W is delivered with the SOLO for recharging?' to  'Q&A 3'?
  • Type is used for plug. Type 1 (J11772 Japanese cars) or Type 2 (Mennekes, American cars). And some others ie Tesla, CCS.
  • Mode no. is charging type. Mode 1 or Mode 2.
It is confusing to use type no. for charging mode.

Agree, question should be raised to Q&A   Smile

A little info about Mode:

[Image: Charge_mode.jpg]
SAE J1772 'type 1' is used in the U.S. and Japan, and the IEC type 2 ( "Mennekes" connector ) is used in Europe. The signalling is the same for both, but the plugs/connectors have different shapes and pin-outs.
[+] 1 user Likes SparkE's post
Forgive me for being cynical, but as charging amps increase, would this not be the impetus to forego 'home charging' and convert to 'station charging'? After all, if EV catches on, some dent will be put in the petroleum distribution industry (gas stations), and a quick charging option would become very practical. I cannot see the oil industry rolling over on this. Look at Germany with the mandate to switch by 2030 for all vehicles. Charging 'at home' would be largely discouraged by being too slow, so you stop at the 'charging station' for a quick top off...
eurapoe has a slight advantage with the widespread use of 220v as it is, many places in the US still only have access to 110v (with 60 amp breakers!). Urban areas generally are 200 amp, but then they have street parking, so a difficulty there as well. My garage still has glass fuses and a 60 amp panel, although there is 200 amps at the house.
Just musing...
(10-19-2016, 03:52 AM)Lotus Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 08:13 PM)DiscjockeyDale Wrote:

The response was...

Conclusion (as i see it):
  • The Solo comes with a standard cord/cable and type 1 (J1772) plug for the vehicle, and household plug (110 or 220 V) in other end.
  • No home stationary charger.
  • Optional TurboCord level 2 (charger) 110/220 V.

(10-19-2016, 04:50 AM)SparkE Wrote: Did anybody get confirmation from EM, or is this all conjecture?

How about adding 'what H/W is delivered with the SOLO for recharging?' to  'Q&A 3'?

Confirmation... Yes, the questions and answers from my previous post were from myself and Jerry Kroll.

Lotus... If you notice, my question was specifically about a "charging cord".
The options available for the "Charger" on the "Reserve Now" page used to be "Standard" and "TurboCord Level 2".
Because the website listed "Standard" as an option, I asked for specific confirmation that the Solo comes with "NO charging cord".

I did not get a reply to that inquiry, but elecM  quickly changed the "Standard" choice to "No Charger" on their website.
IMO, the meaning is pretty clear that the Solo does NOT come standard with any charger station or charger cord. They'd want us to know if it did.
I think the trouble  is when both ElecM and EVsolutions (and others) call charging cord systems and charging stations "chargers".
As SparkE pointed out in a previous post, those three terms should not be interchangeable like that. It just causes a lot of confusion.

And Lotus... I didn't look up that type and mode info that you listed, but, yes, it looks confusing when you get in that technically deep.
The language and designations commonly used in presenting J1772 plug products to the North American market are...
Type 1 charging = 110-120v. Type 2 charging = 220-240v. Using that terminology...
Type 1 charging is commonly limited on, and by, US vehicles to 12amps. Even though the TurboCord Dual is rated @ 16amps @ level 1.

The TurboCord Dual is probably rated @ 16amps @ level 1 simply because it's also rated @ 16amps @ level 2.
It's got heavier wire in order to enable it  to handle 16amps @ 220-240v. In other words, if you've got it (16amp wiring), flaunt it.
Some of the EV onboard chargers have automatic settings depending on what source they're hooked to...
And Some of them have controls which enable  the owner/user can choose the amperage settings.
I have not be able to get any information from ElecM about the Solo's onboard charger and it's settings as yet.
We've asked and basically gotten an answer of TBA. The only things I've been able to get are, again,...
Level 2 charging takes about 3 hours and level 1 takes about twice as long.

SparkE, doing the math on that limited amount of information should give you a basic "H/W", or rather, W/H.
In the ElecM battery video, Jerry is using the TurboCord Dual in what appears to be a 110-120v household (NEMA 5-15 outlet).

So just for the purpose of this discussion let's use the TurboCord Dual as our standard that we can communicate with.
Let's also (for the sake of having a constant) assume that we can set the Solo's onboard charger to charge at 110-120v @ 16amps.
240v x 16amps = 3840watts/Hr. 16100 watts (16.1KWh) divided by 3840 = approximately 4.19 Hours
A little more than the 3 hours that ElecM has told us that the Solo will charge in @ 240v.

However, if you have a charger station that is rated at 30amps (a common standard) and we can set the Solo to charge @ an average of 24 amps...
Then yes, it will exceed the Specification that ElecM has given us. 240 x 24 = 5760watts/Hr. 16100 watts divided by 5760 = 2.795 Hrs.
To take it a step further... 220v x 24 = 5280watts/Hr. 16100watts divided by 5280 = 3.049 Hrs.
These calculations are indeed conjecture and rely on the unconfirmed conditions and standards I've mentioned...
But this could indeed be what ElecM has based their real world charge time specification on.

If you do the math on Level 1 charging even at a 16amp rate, you get  1920watts/Hr. and a charge time of 8.38 Hrs.
That's a pretty loose interpretation of ElecM's statement of "...about double that.", but it's not inconceivable that this is what they meant.

Bottom line is, I asked and these are the answers I got.
I absolutely encourage you to email them and ask for further confirmation and clarification.

I've also been told (see previous "answers" posts) that a lot of information including test results will be forthcoming in Nov/Dec.

Keep on asking the tough questions folks.
Required listening... House of Lords - Can't find my way home
This version kicks. There's just no other way to describe it. Shivers. Turn...it...up!
Disclaimer: No false statistics were supported, displayed or harmed in the making of this post.
I think i will take a break from this discussion now, too many numbers Smile  Lets talk about something else fun Smile